Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Absolute Need to Replace Motherboard???

Hey guys, thanks for the info. However, i started wondering whether its entirely even necessary to replace my board, and if the current problem is fixable.
    I had written in the previous thread.:

>I have a
    >Shuttle AK31 motherboard with VIA KT266A chipset and VIA >AC97 sound. Suddenly the sound on my system has become >impaired. when i boot winXp, the log in music skips. When i play >any game, within the first 10 min the music skips and the whole >machine locks up. i have tried disabling the on board sound, >putting in various PCI sound cards and even trying dozens of >different drivers, but all to no avail. I have come to the >conclusion that my motherboard is damaged.

Here is a link to that thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...ht=motherboard

I had previously tried to o/c my system, with homeworld1031tx, but windows would not start after we set the CPU timing above 145 and changed the RAM timings, so we had to revert to the old configuration. In fact, a couple of times we had set the timings too high such that the MB would not even boot, so we were forced to reset the BIOS jumper on the MB to start it. As stated in the previous thread, I very well may have blown the sound whilst oc'ing. But I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether this is a fixable problem. If this is the case, is it even possible to fix my MB??

Thanks for all the help so far. Please reply ASAP.

If all you did is blow the sound chip
    then all you need to do is get a sound Card
    say a Sound Blaster PCI 512 there cool

Havent blown min yet or maybe get a new board there pritty cheep too
    I just took a look at your post again you have a
    Shuttle AK31 Man ditch the *****
    Get a better board, dont waste your hard earned pennys on that Board
    Msi at least
    :thumb: ABit Asus Epox there good O/Cing M/B :thumb:
    youll blow these so call best buy boards Stay with a good name brand
    but not one of these so call CHEEP M/B Cant say it any better
    OLD! AmD 1.33 266 internal Bus
    384Mb Pc133 Micron cas3
    Asus Kt133Mb- S.B.PCI 512
    G-Force 2 Ti 128MbDDR
    4444$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    System Upgrade on StandBy.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4Parts
    Well hell its 5 yrs Old Bult Bak When

nah, we already tried putting in various other sound cards, but they all give the same problem.

Sounds like the PCI section's gone bad. Time for a new board. Look for an nForce2 model. Upgrade memory too. Have fun! :)
    :-(

Well, he wouldn't necessarily need to upgrade the RAM. A good idea, but not necessary to use the board.

not really sure whether pci sections gone bad, coz LAN and USB cards work fine, its only the sound that has the problems. if the entire PCI section was corrupt, nothing would work right??

What were you doing right before it "suddenly" stopped working?
    And if it works for 10min while playing a game, THEN you obviously didn't blow the chip.
    So does it work intermittently? ? ?
    If so, I would double check the connections for your speakers. Especially the power cord. Also, when the speakers are working, ie. during that first 10min of the game, shake and pull on the power cord, and the speaker connections/cord to see if something is loose.

Chez

tried that, didnt work.

Beefy Guest

Another test is to disable the sound card completely and play the games. See if it still crashes (to see if it's sound related)

been there, done that, didnt work

Thread Information