Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

Well.....I have gathered my parts and hope to have it put together next week! I have bought....1-Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB 1-500 watt power supply 2-sticks of 512 mb pc 2700(333mhz) Micron DDRAM and 1-AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor! You can look at the specs below and tell me if you think what I have got will be enough to last for awhile for general use. (web surfing, gaming, apps, etc.) If you have any other suggestions I would be glad to read yuour posts on them! Thanks!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

I run my system on an Antec 350W with dual HD, dual CD, and a 9700Pro. No problems. With 500 Watts you can probably run a 5000BTU air conditioner off your PC!! :D

About the networking question: I recommend using the NVidia LAN as your primary connection since it seems to slightly outperform the 3Com LAN. Either one would be suitable. Since my system is not used as a Gateway I disabled the 3Com in BIOS. On another similar system I set it up for shared Internet via Windows and it will allow any other PC (Or a Mac in this particular case) to gain Internet access by connecting it with a crossover cable.

With such a high end system I don't think you have to worry about CPU utilization which would be very low anyway. Bandwidth will be shared by both PCs but that would be the case regardless of how you configure your LAN.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woody_87th
    [B]I run my system on an Antec 350W with dual HD, dual CD, and a 9700Pro. No problems. With 500 Watts you can probably run a 5000BTU air conditioner off your PC!! :D

LOL!!! I never thought about an air conditioner! Hey, Mabye I can install one of those inside my case too! HE! HE!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

It's a vicious cycle!! The bigger your PSU the more cooling you need. The more cooling you need the more power you need, the bigger the PSU needs to be!! :D

When someone finally builds a cold fusion device I want to be the first one to have it as a PSU! :D That way my PC can power my entire household and even give a little back into the grid! Finally my wife will stop complaining that I waste too much time with this stuff.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    Finally my wife will stop complaining that I waste too much time with this stuff.
    :laugh: You know that will never happen! : peace2:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

AMEN Brotha!!
    Here are my specs:

Sounds great. I recommend the 500w power supply myself. Especially if you are going to run lighting and stuff.

I personally have a 480B Antec, modded by performance-pcs.com. They are great. You can disconnect the connections you don't need, they come with a UV blue (clear) or any other color cover, and sleeved/heatshrink on all the wires. There is a link in my sig.

The only thing I would suggest is PC3200, or even PC4000 ram if you want.

Sounds like your gonna have a great system.

Chez

and get the 266 fsb variant..................of the 2600+ w/ comes in both fsb'z.......

add two WD360 SATA Raptors in Raid 0 for very fast throughput!

Use Asus 9280 TD GeForce AGP8x vid card cheap and fast!

Use fastest Barton core you can afford and go ahead with real DDR 400 Cas 2 sticks!

This MB is built to zoom! very clockable and stable if you use the good stuff!

The only problem with this board is the ver pre 2.0, the current Bios and drivers for the Ver 2.0 board are very stable and seem to be fairly compatable with most curent hardware.

If you are going to add many IDE devices I highly recommend picking a brand and use them for each device IE all sony or panasonic or samsung etc.

If youy use SATA for the drives there is room for 4 seperate CD and DVD devices, I prefer to not use the combo drives, with the 500W PSU you can safely power 4 ROMs, 2 HDs. and a floppy no sweat.

have fun with this MB but remember as soon as you get really into it and feel comfortable O clocking this baby then the 64 bit CPUs will start to look really cool and super fast...this is an expensive bug..hang on it is only just beginning!

Use fastest Barton core you can afford
    This is the only suggestion I don't think is necessary. As it has been proven by numerous people. The barton 2500+ OC to 3200+ with easeeeeeeeee.
    In my case, I didn't even o/c it and it showed up as a 3200+ in y bios right after I just installed it and booted it up for the first time.
    So I would save the approx. $200 on a stripper or two............:thumb:

Chez

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information