Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with ECS K7S5A Pro

Just has that happen last week. It turned out to be the gf2 mx400 pci video card. I told him to get rid of it beforehand but he did not see the relevance of my advice. He could not see that his old p3 1.4 with say a r9000pro-9500 would be better than his so called gfx upgrade of an xp2000 and k7s5apro(rev5) with the pci bottleneck. I believe the problem to be the same one. Try a different (agp)gfx card. Stuck an old agp r7000 in there and voila, works.

I don't think the drivers like the chipset/pci gfx combo.(never tried an ati pci)(just agp)
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

AMD_MAN and others,

Just to clear this up. Safe mode does not use less power.
    It only uses the necessary drivers to get windows to operate.

I think when diagnosing others computers we should NOT stick to the conclusion that they need to buy new parts to fix problems.

The ratio of hardware to software problems is extremely low. Software is usually the root of 80% of problems.
    Hardware has come a long way. Whereas software has numerous glitches and always will.

I WOULD NEVER suggest someone to buy new hardware to DIAGNOSE a problem unless I was POSITIVE it was the culprit.
    Now suggesting they borrow, or use something from a computer they already have is alright. But NEVER tell someone to buy something unless you are positive.

This is just my personal opinion and has been proven in the short time I have been here helping others at Tweaktown. I also have extensive tech support that has proven just the same.
    Its usually either operator error, loose or missing connections, bad configurations, conflicts with other hardware, or software related issues.

Most people don't have the money to go buying items in HOPES that it is the answer.
    There are a plethora of tests availablet to diagnose hardware issues.

I just wanted to let this out since I have noticed a lot of people go straight to hardware issues right off the bat. Especially if someoneee isn't running the "ideal" setup.
    This isn't to "call" anybody out. Although when I was a tech, I learned to go back to basics and start from the bottom up. For example, I had a guy call in and he couldn't surf the web, was so pissed off he could hardly talk. Finally he hung up cause I wanted as much info as I could get and start from the beginning. He insisted he was an IT tech and knew his ****. Finally his wife called the next morning, and my buddy tranferred the call to me. She was great. We started from the beginning, rebooting. Then I asked the colors of the lights on the modems and how many their were(it would tell me the modem model #, if you knew your ****). She said, "none of the lights are on", so I asked her ti check if it was plugged in, sure enough it was. So I then asked if she could find the modem. Which to her was like finding a torque wrench in her husbands tool box. We finally found it together. I then asked if she could find a switch on it, sure enough she did. I said, " can you now turn it on"!!! Voila, 5 min. phone call and she was surfing the web.
    Moral of the story, it doesn't matter who you are, what you do for a living, WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES, including myself. The next day I recieved a dozen roses and an apology from her for her husbands behavior.

My moto is Get all the information you can. Find out exactly when the problem started happening. What the peros did prior to the incident. AND THEN STARTING FROM THE BASICS, THEN GOING FORWARD FROM THERE.
    Another thing I have found is that bad, loose, corroted(s) connections can be a VERY big culprit. Especially on store bought computers. They can cause intermittent problems, artifacts, fake a bad PSU, anything you can imagine. So the first thing I always do is unplug and replug in ALL connections, as well as jiggling them to see if there is a loose or bad contact. Loose grounds can cause a plethora of problems including backfeeding of electricity with a jump in amperage.

The way I always look at a problem, is as if it is my computer and what I would do. I would doubt that the first thing most people would do if they kept that in mind, would be to purchase items until they found the problem. I personally would do EVERYTHING BUT SPEND MONEY ON SOMETHING UNLESS I KNEW FOR SURE THAT WOULD FIX IT.

I have a backround in electronics and have seen the wierdest things happen due to all of the above. That is why I thought I would write this and hopefully at least help one person along the wa.

ONE LAST THING - As promissed, this weekend I took my Antec 480Trueblue PSU ouf of my newest system listed in my sig and put in a PIECE OF CRAP 230w circa 1994 or so PSU in. With all my lights (8 now) and all my other goodies, it ran FINE>Albeit it was a tad hot and wishing I would make it stop, but it worked and ran fine. So this myth of HAVING TO HAVE A 300W OR ABOVE POWER SUPPLY FOR TODAY COMPUTERS IS BULL****. SHUTTLE RUNS 200W POWERSUPPLIES IN THIER P4 SYSTEMS WITH NOW PROBLEMS.

JMNSHO,
    Chez:cheers:

As an example, the guy that was having trouble with his ECS pro board. He said others were also having trouble running XP with it. If he would have followed some advice here, he would be out $50 or more dollars and the same problem. In the end, he got a new board and it runs like a champ.

Utoh, Chez is spazzing again ;)

As for the whole PSU thing, you must not get the reasoning behind K7S5A's are known to be VERY picky with PSU's and, NO, a 300W will not always do the job.

It is not necessarily the total wattage, but the ability for the PS to supply constant voltage to each of its rails (12v, 5v, 3v).

For example, a 400w PS can still be "weaker" than a 300w PS if it doesn't supply proper voltage.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Gee I wish that I'd never got my K7S5A POS but I learned my lesson fast as these mobo's have many probs though most center on the PSU as the board uses an unusually high combined 3.3/5v wattage (200w is the min combined on those two rails where as most other mobo's are happy with less) though certain combos of memory and BIOS flashes are also a prob but there is an active forum for them here with a few archives as well.

Goes to prove how bad that mobo is, I use my PSU and it provides about 170 oon the 3.3V 5V rails combined, and its powered everything thrown at it without a problem.

Utoh, Chez is spazzing again
    Show a little professionalism whether you are wrong or right.
    His PSU wasn't the problem.
    He bought a new board and he is back in business.

I have used a K7S5A. Actually just got rid of it when a bolt fell behind the mobo and shorted it out on my wifes computer. It worked fine for 3 years with no problems at all with a stock 230w power supply.

And no I didn't miss the point that K7S5A's are picky. They aren't freaking picky. What, they only like Antec and not raidmax? Just like any system you need to have a realiable power supply to do the job for ANY motherboard.
    Just like I said before, how are shuttle boxes running P4 systems with a 200w power supply?

Second of all, you said safe mode uses less power, WRONG. Safe mode uses the most nessesary drivers to get windows to operate. It doesn't use half the cpu power, and only one cdrom, and part of your harddrive.

Third, there are a lot of people running 300w power supplies and k7S5A's with no problems.
    If those boards where such pieces of ****, why would ECS still be selling them, and quite a bit of them.
    I have dealt with quite a bit of K7S5A because they are a budget board that used to be used quite often.
    Sure the PRO boards use more power and that is a known issue. Although the regular boards can run off a 230w PSU all day long. These boards are not meant for the overclocker in mind. They are a budget board.

I understand you are a little younger and all. You also have some good knowledge. But don't start saying I am spazzing by giving you some known facts.
    I have given you respect and I expect the same in return. I learn something new everyday, whether it be from a veteran or a younger person. But one thing I will not do is belittle someone to make myself look better. Thats called maturity.
    If I make a mistake, or give incorrect information I am man enough to admit it, apoligize and thank the person for helping me out and showing me the right way.

Telling someone to go buy a new power supply when you don't know the specifics of the one he has, nor the complete setup is not the way to go.
    You said you would like to start a business,. If you were in business and told everyone that had an ECS that they NEED a bigger power supply would be wrong. Just as in this case it was as well.

I agree they are not the best boards in the world. But there is also a market for them or else, as Wiggo pointed out there is a forum for people to go to, to assist in problems with them. The header on the forum doesn't say, if you have an ECS board you need a 400w power supply to make the thing work. AND they are CURRENTLY STILL SELLING.

The bottom line here is be humble, if you are or wrong, and especially if you are right. That is how you gain respect. Either way you can learn from both. But don't go calling people a spazz because they were correct in their diagnosis and didn't agree with you in him buying a new power supply.

I currently am in the market for a new mobo for my 1600+ pali and would be more than happy to use an ECS budget board with it, and my 230w power supply. Because its the same damn chip and setup I used in my wifes computer for 3 years with no problems. Not to mention with the stock cooling.

The bottom line here is lets use a little more couth when going about posting.
    I like you and think you have a lot of knowledge and stuff to provide to this board and its participants. Although I do take offense to being called "spazzing" by giving you the facts concerning your incorrect diagnosis.

Lets call it a truce and leave it at that. You are correct in that they aren't the best boards in the world. Although they are stilll selling, due the job for the budget minded individual.

And I wouldn't pipe too much. If I am not mistaken you have a PCCHIPS mobo, which I would consider in the same realm as an ECS. So lets just call it a day.

Being humble goes a long way, and gains you respect.

Whether you are right or wrong, I would never belittle you or anyone else to make myself look better. In the end it just comes back to hurt your own credibility.

Truce? :cheers:

Chez

BTW - I did a little research into this issue and found out that infact ECS is having a problem with the K7S5A PRO drivers and Windows XP.

Just like I said before, how are shuttle boxes running P4 systems with a 200w power supply?
    Like I keep saing, Quailiy PSU

And I wouldn't pipe too much. If I am not mistaken you have a PCCHIPS mobo, which I would consider in the same realm as an ECS. So lets just call it a day.
    Yes, but I also own an EPox Mobo, and the PCChips is on my budget/bavkup rig.

Exactly what I was getting at. You didn't even find out if he had a quality PSU before you suggested his 300w PSU was insufficient nad he needed to buy a new one.
    When in fact a generic 230w PSU ran my wifes ECS just fine for 3 years. Although you continued to insist he needed a new powersupply. That is all I was getting at.
    I am not throwing punches at your PCCHIPS board. I am just saying sometimes we have to make due with what we have.

And the bottom line with the problem was that ECS is having trouble with its PRO board drivers and windows XP.
    Yet you insisted on calling me a spaz.
    Not too cool when I have treated you with respect in regards to all your posts, right or wrong.

Lets just leave it at that. Ifyou feel like chattin' lets keep it off the boards and in pm land, cool?

Chez

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information