Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with ECS K7S5A Pro

I posted this on another forum, but I would also like another opinon on it. I know most of the people on Tweaktown are friendly, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I just bought a new case, 2200+ XP chip, and a K7S5A Pro board for school. I put into it some stuff from my old computer that I had shipped down. I have been trying to install XP Pro as my operating system.

My problem is that I can't get the computer to boot normally. While installing, after the computer boots for the 2nd time, it just hangs there with a blank screen after showing the XP splash screen for 5 secs. After I restart the computer, the only way I can operate the computer is if I use Safe Mode w/ Networking (like I'm doing right now).

As far as peripherals, here is the list:

- LG 52x CD-ROM
    - LG 24x10x40 CD-RW
    - WD 40GB 5400 rpm
    - Riva TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    - 256 MB SDRAM PC-133

Being a student, I really don't want to have to go buy another board (even one that is more expensive) and the computer store on campus charges $66/hr for labour.

Is it possible for me to fix this myself?? I would like to know ASAP.

Thanks

Well, you may have to reintall Windows again, if worst comes to worse.How big is your Power SUpply Unit, as K7S5A's are known to be very draining on smaller ones

The power supply I have is a 300W, the same as what came with the case.

I have reinstalled Windows, numerous times, and it doesn't seem to work.

Someone on another board suggested I update the BIOS, a lot of people have trouble with this board and XP apparently

ANy specs on the PSU? I think that could be the host of your problems

I personally don't think it is your PSU. I think too many times people jump to the PSU as the problem. (that and getting a Volcano 7+ seems to be a fav)

Anyway, I would follow your instincts that others are having the same problem with XP and that ECS. I would also update the BIOS ASAP to make sure you have the latest updated version that hopefully fixes known conflicts.

I would also try and find the forum that deals specifically with the ECS K7S5A and PRO. There is one out there. If I happen to find it, I will post it.

You 300w PS should be able to run your board, CDrom, and harddrive no problem.

Good luck,
    Chez

PS I would go through your board setup once again. Make sure all your jumpers are set correctly, specifically the FSB jumper, CPU ect. You can never be too sure. I have forgotten a jumper here or there and it would throw me off for hours.

Updated the BIOS, reinstalled WinXP...still no luck

What do I do now, I'm running out of options here

Im dead serious iwould try a new PSU.

Amd_man
    Does his computer somehow use more power when booting regularly than when in safe mode? If not, I don't see how a new power supply is going to help.

calcrazy,
    How did you first install windows XP. Did you format the drive and all?
    You pretty much have a new system. And the problem is that you can't get the machine to boot up into windows regularly. You have to go into safe mode to do it. Is that correct?
    If so, it tells me there is a driver conflict or problem of the sort. Which means I would go into the control panel, system, device manager and see if there are any reg flags.
    You have also said that others were having the same problem with this board and windows XP. That also tells me others are having this problem with drivers not working properly with the chipset or something.
    First I would check the device manager and see if anything comes up in there.

Chez

No red flags...closest thing that comes to it is the yellow exclamation mark on the USB Controller in Device Manager

Just for my own curiosity, I tried installing XP on a totally brand new drive...didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Chezman29
    Amd_man
    Does his computer somehow use more power when booting regularly than when in safe mode? If not, I don't see how a new power supply is going to help.
    Safemode is alot less intensive, thus, less power consumption (in theory) and K7S5's are known to be hard on PSU's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information