Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a new mobo $100-200

1. Default

This is a more 'on-topic' thread then the previous one that went from a question about clock multipliers to what mobo should i get:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=13398

pretty much im looking for a new motherboard that uses the nforce2 chipset, has dual channel ddr, and some other good features,....and is fast.

Im also looking for some good ddr333 (because nforce2 uses a sync mode where if you have a fsb of 333, the optimal ddr speed would be ddr333), also looking for some other good hardware for overclocking, gaming, and some other good stuff.

This is a good time for me to update because i will be recieving $100 to add to my saved $40-ish and my B-day is oct 12, meaning i will have plenty of money to upgrade my system.

-+ WHAT I KNOW IM GETTING +-
    $183-AMD Athlon xp2800 'burton at 2.08GHz (you can count on it being overclocked)
    $109-ThermalTake Aquarius 2 (replacing a very loud ThermalRight SK-7 with a ThermalTake Smart Case Fan 2)

-+ WHAT I ALREADY HAVE +-
    -ThermalTAke Giant 2 on my ATI 9500 PRO

heres some info that was discussed in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereignty
    That 2800 is unlocked by default. AFAIK, all tbred-b's are.

As far as not booting, I'd be willing to bet it's because you're setting the cpu just high enough that it needs more voltage, but obviously if there's no bios settings for it, you can't do that. I think a new board is in order, especially if you're going to be using a 2800. NF7-S or Epox 8rda3+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    I have a 1700+ the same as is shown in Sovereignty's sig that is not factory unlocked. I have had several (maybe all) of the T-Bred B-core processors that are locked, but the nForce2 chipset bypasses this function. The simple test came when benchmarking a KT600 board that I had gotten in. All processors that I put onto the KT600 board would not allow for any sort of multiplier manipulation, even though they worked fine on my nForce2 based board. The KT600 had settings within BIOS to accommodate the changes, but the processors were not playing nicely without physically unlocking them.

GBRRICCI,
    Both of the recommended boards that Sovereignty mentions are using the nForce2 chipset, so either will let you play along the full range of multiplier settings. You'll just have to play around a bit to see which works best for you. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by GBRRICCI
    yeah, im thinking about getting a new nforce mobo with dual channel ddr400, probably send back my gigabyte(although its the best one ive ever used). do you guys have suggestions for one around 0-200?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    EPoX's 8RDA3+ is what I prefer to use though Abit's NF7-S and ASUS' A7N8X are also very good boards.

Epox: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...RDA3+%20Retail

Abit: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...IT%20NF7-S%20,

Asus: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...eluxe%20Retail

-----------------------

i've heard asus boards are great but i can get any of these, jsut wondering which would be best for what i do: (hardcore gaming, overclocking......arent those the only 2 reasons for computers?)

There isn't a great deal of difference between any of those boards, ya main prob will be decidin' on what features ya'll require. I'd also suggest gettin' PC3500 as well if ya want to overclock as ya may soon find the limits of PC3200 very quickly.
    dont really care much about features:

will be getting a sound blaster audigy 2 platinum - so i wont need big onboard sound

mainly what i want is onboard usb2.0, firewire, lan. thats pretty much it.

my gigabyte now has a 5.1 onboard sound, onboard raid, sata, and a ton of other stuff.

----------

i am also in dire need of good memory, i would like to get some GeIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 400Hz. i'll probably get 2 sticks of this so i have a nice 1 gig of ddr pc3200

-------------

well after checking through the featurs i wont be getting the epox
    and the one i want most is asus and next is the abit. but you are right they are all great boards

----------------
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...0203682988C64D

the nforce uses a 'sync' so when i get my athlon xp 2800, it will be at 333 fsb, meaning ddr333 will work best with it. ??? does this mean it would be better to go with ddr 333 over ddr 400 ???
    as a correction i dont think i'll be needing the sound blaster audigy 2 platinum because from the reviews i read the onboard sound on the asus one is great, btw i'll probably be going with the asus one, but if you know of a good one then post about it.

-------------------

it has come to my attention that it would be best just to save about $200 for when some really good mobo's come out in a couple months to a year, but post any info you would like to share.
    GBRRICCI

if u want good ocing nforce 2 mobos, get the asus a7n8x deluxe, or the epox 8rda3+ both good mobo at under 200. i have the asus a7n8x deluxe for 5 months now, and only 1 error occured, and that was very minor.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

The ASUS A7N8X is probably the most popular, with the Abit NF7-S being the favored overclockers board. The Epox 8RDA3+ is also showing some good numbers in the OCing department.

Any of them will do fine.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

I've got the A7N8X dx, it's an awsome board. Like I've said before, this is one of the few hardware investments i havn't ended up regreting at some point. imho, you can't go wrong with this mobo.

As you have already seen, a good many people here also have the epox version; from what I can tell, you wont regret it either.

on a side note, if you ever decide to venture into linux, the ASUS mobo seems to be better supported. just a thought :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I have an NF7-S and the onboard sound rivals my audigy 2 easily. It's also VERY o/cable. I've gotten into windows over 240fsb, and benched at 337 (after a vmod). Never had a single problem with this board and I highly recommend it.

Im also looking for some good ddr333 (because nforce2 uses a sync mode where if you have a fsb of 333, the optimal ddr speed would be ddr333), also looking for some other good hardware for overclocking, gaming, and some other good stuff.
    -+ WHAT I KNOW IM GETTING +-
    3-AMD Athlon xp2800 'burton at 2.08GHz (you can count on it being overclocked)
    Ok the reason I suggested PC3500 is because with that CPU and anyone of those mobo's ya'll be able to jump straight into the BIOS and change that CPU from 12.5 x 166MHz to 10 x 200MHz and even though the actual speed of the CPU is slightly lower because of the higher FSB ya'll be gettin' much better performance as components can talk that much faster with each other, then ya can work on the FSB more to add even more performance which can find PC3200 wanting.

3500 is rated at 217mhz.....2700 is only rated at 166mhz...do you really want to bottleneck yourself?

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

8. Default

Ok the reason I suggested PC3500 is because with that CPU and anyone of those mobo's ya'll be able to jump straight into the BIOS and change that CPU from 12.5 x 166MHz to 10 x 200MHz and even though the actual speed of the CPU is slightly lower because of the higher FSB ya'll be gettin' much better performance as components can talk that much faster with each other, then ya can work on the FSB more to add even more performance which can find PC3200 wanting.
    oohh ok, i understand :thumb:

-------------

i think i'll probably be gettting this:

GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 1GB(2x512MB) 433MHz Model GD3500-1000DC Retail
    Specifications:
    Dual Channel SPD Enhanced PC3500 Dual DDR 1GB; Special design for dual channel motherboard
    Dragon Eye: One red led on PCB board for memory module ON/OFF detection
    Hand Picked Golden Dragon 5ns!
    Advanced WLCSP Package
    6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded Golden Color PCB board
    Pin Count: 184
    Chip Denisity: 32x8
    CAS/Timing 2 6-3-3 1T @PC3500
    Voltage: 2.5v-3.1V
    Warranty: Lifetime

costs about $224
    GBRRICCI

I don't really recommend the Geil unless you think 217 will be the highest you'll run it at. Typically you need a lot of voltage to get a good fsb out of Geil and the asus board doesn't really go high enough. Some OCZ EL PC3500 might be better depending on how far you want to take it.

10. Default

i plan on overclocking my xp2800 (once i get it) to atleast the speeds of the xp3200. I am a noob at memory so i welcome any info. i'll look into the OCZ EL PC3500 and any other you recomend

i plan on keeping cost of new memory between $100-200 as well, but if i have to i can buy once stick now and another later. i would like to get a total of 1 gig of ddr.

-----------------
    OCZ DDR PC-4000 / 500MHz 512MB Enhanced Latency Series, Gold Edition Model OCZ500512ELGE - Retail
    Specifications:
    Size: 512MB
    Speed: PC-4000 / 500MHz
    Timings: CL 2.5-4-4-7
    Type: 184 Pin Dimm Unbuffered
    ULN Technology: (U)ltra (L)ow (N)oise shielded PCB

$220

OCZ DDR PC-4000 / 500MHz 512MB Enhanced Latency Series, Model OCZ500512EL - Retail
    Specifications:
    Size: 512MB
    Speed: PC-4000 / 500MHz
    Timings: CL 3-4-4-8

$200

or i could just go with 2 256MB sticks:

OCZ Enhanced Latency DDR 512MB (2x 256MB) PC-4000 / 500MHz Dual Channel Series Memory Kit, Model OCZ500512ELDC-K - Retail
    Specifications:
    Size: 512MB (2x 256MB)
    Speed: PC-4000 / 500mhz
    Timings: CL 3-4-4-8
    Copper Heat Spreaders

$200
    GBRRICCI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information