Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ecs K7sem Pcb 1.0

Last Feb(2003) I bought three barebone systems that consisted of a Case with 145W PS, K7SEM PCB ver 1.0 MoBo (no cpu), floppy drive, and cables. They all came with bios ver. 1.0e installed on them. I paid 25.00 each before shipping and thought I had made a really great deal until putting this last one up this week. In Feb. I built one for my daughter with an AMD Athlon 1Ghz cpu and 384Mb ram and WinXP. This thing went together without a hitch and has been running without any problems since then using the onboard "everything". I didn't have to make any bios adjustments at all. I put the other one up for my brother-in-law using a AMD Duron 750 cpu, 256 ram and WinME. NO bios adjustmments were necessary for it either. His also has been running fine except that a cd-burner crapped out but that's another issue. In the process of putting one of these pc's together I had tried putting an AMD Duron 1Ghz cpu in and the system wouldn't even bring up the post screen so I just assumed that the bios wasn't compatible or something and put in the 750 Duron cause it was just lying around collecting dust and this was sort of a charity thing. Now for this last one, I put it together using another 750 Duron cpu and 512Mb ram, with the intention of swapping it out to a Athlon 1.1Ghz once I had the OS (dual boot ME/XP on WD 40Gb drive) all set up and software loaded. The 1.1Ghz was in the pc I use on my boat for navigation software and was in use. Anyway everthing went without a hitch as before until the day I put the 1.1Ghz Athlon in. It would barely open any OS before lockingup with no option but to cut the power off to try again. Sometimes it would let me get a program opened but would freeze up in no time. I again tried the 1Ghz Duron but again it would not even bring up the post screen so put back the 1.1 Athlon. I'm a novice when it comes to setting up a bios other than using default settings or changing the boot order so I really was leary about making any radical changes in there but was left with little options so changes I made. I updated the bios to 1.2b but that made no noticable improvement. Actually I would get "Missing Operating System" at post and had to wind up zeroing out the drive and reinstalling everything. I have finally got it to where it seems to be running with very few lockups (only second day). What I have found has made all the difference in the world was setting the "Freq-Volt" setting from default to anything above 105/105/35. It seemed to work well at 112/112/34 however SisSandra gave a warning that I had probably pushed voltage to far for the cpu's rating so I have been trying 110/110/33 mostly. My concern now is the cpu temp that Sis Sandra and the bios are posting. I have the pc sitting in this central air conditioned house and the temp is at 122 degrees F after running a DVD movie for about 2 hours. I can only imagine that in my boat during a 95+ summer day the temp will surely exced what it is now. I am running a Thermaltake Slim Volcano 8 SE for a heatsink with a copper base but aluminum fins. I had tried to put a larger all copper heatsink with a larger fan but it would jam up against the harddrive. I can add a case fan to force air in though. My questions I guess are these, How normal or abnormal is it to have to run these frequiency settings, Has anyone tried this K7SEM PCB 1.0 mobo with a Athlon XP 2100 or 2200 cpu (oem/retail and Make/Model) and what types of hassel was it to get it to operate correctly (ie use bios defaults). Could this possibly be a power supply issue, but cpu core runs a steady 1.61v and lists as a recommended 1.5v according to SisSandra. One last note ALL these cpu's I have tried are OEM according to AMD tech support and does that make any difference in performance.

Ok I've never been a fan of ECS or SiS based mobo's but here goes, the 145W PSU is well down on what's recommended for AMD processors (300W minimum). The ECS K7SEM V1.0 only supports Spitfire cored Durons and Thunderbird cored Athlons (the Duron 1GHz if I remember rightly is a Morgan core also any AthlonXP will be out of the question as well). I wouldn't worry about the messages that Sandra displays though as it's standard for that program to display those messages with out of spec settings. Ya temps arn't to bad but then case airflow is likely the main prob.

I guess the fact that it worked well with the 1GHz Athlon was just a freak accident then. And these are my first attempts at building pc's so I really didn't have any knowledge of what makes up a good pc as far as brand names go. All I know is that I have had AMD cpu's on most every pc I have owned and have read mostly good reviews on them. The main force that got me to attempt doing so was the 25 dollar price tag per barebone system. Really I was expecting to see "FisherPrice" written on the things when they arrived. About these boards not supporting any Athlon 2100 or 2200 XP processors is that according to ECS support site, the bios prior to the one I upgrade to lists these cpu's as the reason for the bios upgrade.

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7sem.html

That's why I wish I could get some feed back from someone who has tried and used either of these cpu's on the K7SEM PCB V1.0 board. I would hate to buy say the 2200XP only to find out that you are right and that it wouldn't even bootup as the case of the 1Ghz Duron. I have looked at other threads about this board and see a wide array of opinions, guess it just depends what cpu you use and if the board accepts it or not, kinda pot luck. A general opinion I have read though is that ECS is not regarded as a well built or supported board over all.

The 1GHz Athlon is a Thunderbird core which is why it works (Thunderbirds went up to 1.4GHz before the Palamino cored XP's took over). The reason why the 1GHz Duron Morgan core (yes it's definately a Morgan core) and any AthlonXP won't work is because they have extra instructions built in (SSE) which your particular mobo doesn't know how the handle so it can't fire the chip up. I believe that V3.0C of that mobo will handle the Morgan cored Duron but it like your's is restricted to 100MHz FSB CPU's so that will also count the Athlon XP out as it's a 133MHz FSB (there are some 133MHz FSB Thunderbirds as well but these will run underclocked in your mobo).

I'm not sure what the SSE thing is all about but I will try to see what I can find out about it. However my manual says that this mobo will suport 133FSB. Here are a few lines from the manual.

Page 3 bottom of page.....
    High-end Processors
    Functioning as a platform for a high-end PC, the K7SEM features a Socket 462 accomodating AMD Athlon/Duron processors that support 64/256 KB L2 OnChip cache, and 100/133 MHz hostbus/core speed.
    The K7SEM supports 100/133 MHz frontside bus (FSB).

Now this from the top of page 5.....
    Inexpensive Memory
    The board has two DIMM sockets for the installition of 168-pin, 3.3v non-buffered DIMM memory modules. The DIMM memory modules use SDRAM memory chips. The K7SEM mainboard supports a memory bus of 100/133 MHz.
    ==============================================
    Note: Although the K7SEM mainboard supports a memory bus of 100/133MHz, you cannot set the memory bus speed less than the CPU bus speed (CPU/memory: 100/100, 100/133, 133/133).

Concerning memory I am running 512Mb of PC133

Thread Information