Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mainboard Advice

So does anyone know of an Intel based 845 mainboard that has 4 RAM slots ???

You won't find one as Intel only designed the chipset to support 3 DIMM's. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thats strange cos if you check out the table on http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboa.../i845d-01.html this page you can see that it states that the max it has is 4

Well I just went thru the major board makers sites before making that post and I only found 3 DIMM's as what was being offered. :smokin:

ok, then looks like I'll be getting an Asus P4B266-E or a Gigabyte 8IRXP. I normally trust tomshardware with these things but it seems lately that they are getting really anti intel

Something else to consider when looking at that linked page from Tom's site is that it covers what the chipset will support... not what the manufacturer will put on the board.

As an example, look at the VIA KT266A chipset. It supports a full six PCI slots but there are a lot of manufacturers who only put five on their boards.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Usually why the manufacturers won't support all the DIMM's is usually timing problems associated with the trace lengths to the furthest DIMM corrupting the performance of the setup.
    They will usually drop it in favour of a stable and reliable setup. :smokin:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information