Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mainboard Advice

I'm looking to get a mainboard for a P4 1.8GHz Socket 478 - 512Kb - Northwood that is based on the Intel 845. (I 'm using the 845 because I'm using SD RAM) One thing I would like is that the mainboard have 4 RAM slots

Thanks Khaine

Just one thing, you'd be cripplin' the CPU usin' SDRAM though and the end result will be very disappointing performance.
    My suggestion would be to seriously look at a i845D board, 1.6A P4 CPU and 256MB of DDR SDRAM as the 1.6A will o/c just as well as a 1.8 and be cheaper, plus the price between a i845 and i845D board would be very little so the DDR SDRAM wouldn't be that much more to fork out over your original intentions and you would gain a great deal performance wise. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:<center>

What Wiggo said... my Pentium 4 runs about 10-15% faster in most applications with DDR instead of SDR SDRAM. Don't cripple a fast chip with SDR SDRAM - if you can afford a Pentium 4 you can afford DDR SDRAM :thumb:

Agreed. But if you opt toward DDR, you also have other chipsets from different companies to choose from. Read: VIA and SiS.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Well the thing is that I only just upgraded my RAM and I don't mind if it 10-15% slower than using DDR as It'll do me fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    Agreed. But if you opt toward DDR, you also have other chipsets from different companies to choose from. Read: VIA and SiS.
    For a high end system I wouldn’t touch a SIS chipset with a 10 foot pole.

And for reliabilty I wouldn't go past the Intel chipset,
    VIA make good chipsets but they are still not a stable as an Intel or AMD chipset :p
    Quick!!….Pack your bags!!…

The Elephants are coming!!…

Pretty much spot on there Moose.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

At the moment (which is all we really know for sure isn't it?) that is absolutely correct.

It would appear that when it becomes mature the SiS 645DX might be a real performer. Have to wait and see on that one though.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

SiS645DX looks awesome according to TomsHardware's recent review.

I'm currently running an Abit BD7-RAID board based on the i845D chipset and i'm very happy with it. Decent performance, very stable.
    Asher Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Acid
    SiS645DX looks awesome according to TomsHardware's recent review.
    And what would you know, SiS are kindly sending us one for review - Keep your eyes open people! :)
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information