Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EZ Bios problem

I checked out maxblast 3 as well which is Maxtor's equivalent and the manufacturers of my latest HD but it will only work on a system with one of their own HD's already installed. Maybe if I whip that HD out of my nice new machine and install it in my old system alongside the old WD Caviar......

Hope this post can be a definitive guide to resolving such problems with *******, cos I can't find a decent layman's explanation.

:thumb: Peace

Have ya tried usin' a 98 startup boot disk and fdiskin' the drive clean of all partitions and maybe "fdisk /mbr" as well? Also check partition information (option 4 in fdisk) to see if there's a non-logical partition there to delete. :?:

I actually have 2 WD HD's, both with EZ-Drive installed. I want to use them with an old AOpen mobo onto which I installed EZ-Drive for them (unnecessarily) a few years ago. The AOpen mobo doesn't recognise either HD at all.

On my newer ASUS they both pass WD's own diagnostic test. I have written zero's all over them and Partition Magic says they're both fine. There are definitely no other logical partitions - just the 2mb buffer.

I apologise if anyone reading all this is suffering fatigue.

I still haven't heard from Western Digital - 3 days now.

Pero caramba, que hay ! :bounce2:

This is definitely a strange thing.

Can I ask some more stupid questions, just to see? Did you make sure you put them both back in the old machine the same way? As in with the master and slave correct? Is the BIOS set to automatically detect, or do you need to input the drive information into it?

I know, you have probably already checked, but I figured I would ask.

~Bug

Hello Bugman

I have tried putting them back in different master/slave and CS arrangements. The bios is set to auto, but you have a point as the overlay is to compensate for larger HD,s and I vaguely remember having to mess around with lba during installation. I will try setting up drives manually.

While messing around with Dos I received a warning to say version was incompatible. I don,t know if it's relevant.

I am sure problem is with EZ-Drive soft.

Hey there Phun Key

Im sure that EZ-Bios was the problem at one point, and may still be. But, after you have written all the zeroes and whatnot, there is the possibility that it doesnt exist anymore, and maybe your system is set up for it...

Or it could exist and you need to reconfigure for it again. (Possibly by turning off the LBA setting, but I really dont know)

What are the model numbers of the drives?

~Bug

Greets Bugman, Wiggo, all,

Sorted!

The only way that I could write to this drive again was thru using dlgdiag28 which will some day be discontinued. Even it's replacement DataLifeguard11 does not work with these older drives.

Maxtor's equivalent maxblast 3will only work if you have atleast one Maxtor drive installed and the same with DataLifeguard.

These programs write at a level that is unaffected by any other technique. Even Partition Magic assured me everything was fine, only acknowledging existence of 2mb buffer. Could it be something to do with buffer.

IMHO it is infinitely preferable that source code be openly available for optimum support. Things move on so fast its hard to keep up.

Drive numbers: WD Caviar 26400 EIDE
    S/N: WM627 *** ****
    Mdl: AC26400-00RTT2
    Date: 11 APR 99

Drive numbers: WD Caviar 21600 EIDE
    Mdl: AC21600-60H
    P\N: 99-004199-005
    CCC: F6 22 MAY 97

Both jumpers set to CS. Automatic find in BIOS.

Thanks for all your help. My mate says thanks for the computer!

:afro:

I just want to add a respose received from WD which explains why I was finding anomolies with the drives. May help someone else. thx:

"When you install EZ-BIOS this will be install on each drive install on the system.

If one of the drive do not have it anymore you will never boot on windows.

We advice you to check with datalife guard tool version (that you used since the begening) to reinstall EZ-BIOS for both HD OR remove it, but if you remove it you have to do on BOTH DRIVE otherwise it won't work.".

I imagine exactly same applies to Maxtor and Chillblast.

Phun_Key,

So were you able to remove/reinstall it to both drives instead of just one? did this solve the problem at all? Or are you still without the drives??

Im just curious if this worked is all...

~Bug

IHello Bugman

I had installed EZ-Drive into AOpen system for both HD,s.

The system refused to play ball because I deleted EZ-Drive from one HD - the master, but not the other. Both needed to be wiped.

I could not, apparently, use a single disk as both had to be present, and in similar state with EZ-Drive installed or not.
    I was able to see either HD in my other system as EZ-Drive writes directly to BIOS not HD. There was never a problem with actual drives.

I'm not sure whether or not CS settings helped. Was the order important ?

So, none the wiser really, but atleast my mate has got a working system without EZ-Drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information