Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BTX-compatible motherboards

When they come out, what functionality am I looking at sacrificing here?

Every time a new technology comes out, one feature is added, and 1 or 2 are dropped. (See: PCI sound cards, PCI modems, on-board video cards, etc.)

The most glaring question I have for BTX motherboards is, how many PCI/PCIX slots will they have available? And will they automatically come with DRM built in? :(

Don't get PCI-X confused with PCI Express as they're both different and PCI-X atm is only found in the server enviroment but the BTX mobo's that I've seen so far have 1 x PCI Express X16 slot (replaces the AGP slot) and 2-3 x PCI Express X2 slots (X4,X8 will follow as demand requires and X32 are spose to be for server hardware at this stage) with 3-4 x PCI slots (7 slots overall in total) though these have only been engineering samples so ya'll likely have to wait for production samples to be released to be sure which is still a few months away at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Don't get PCI-X confused with PCI Express as they're both different and PCI-X atm is only found in the server enviroment but the BTX mobo's that I've seen so far have 1 x PCI Express X16 slot (replaces the AGP slot) and 2-3 x PCI Express X2 slots (X4,X8 will follow as demand requires and X32 are spose to be for server hardware at this stage) with 3-4 x PCI slots (7 slots overall in total) though these have only been engineering samples so ya'll likely have to wait for production samples to be released to be sure which is still a few months away at least.
    Ouch. No AGP. That means I gotta upgrade to a new video card for these mobos. That means $500 for the low end video card and your firstborn child for a performance card.

That'll keep BTX out of the market for years, especially in this economy...

There's a good possibility that AGP based BTX mobo's will be out as well but only time will tell.

OK VIA looks like they be givin' ppl with P4's at least an upgrade path, http://www.tweaktown.com/forums/show...985#post203985

I don't mean to sound dumb but will old PCI cards fit in PCI-express slots?

No,

But PCI slots will be kept around for a while (1-2 years at least)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by raveolution
    I don't mean to sound dumb but will old PCI cards fit in PCI-express slots?
    The pic in this post will show ya why not.

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    No,

But PCI slots will be kept around for a while (1-2 years at least)
    Oooh. Fun for the whole family and their bank account.

I wonder if they'll use this forced migration to lock the consumers into all the other sweeties, like TCPA... (trust me you don't want to know what that is, it'll cost you some sleep)

Thread Information