Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: K7SOM+ problem

I picked up a trojan today...a double-trojan. One was fixed, the other lost in the shuffle. Keep that in mind, I don't know if it is important. I didn't think people could create viruses that would affect your motherboard...

Anyway, I was in my BIOS settings today, and I changed up some specs. Nothing drastic, really, just checking around. Well, after that I could not get a signal from my motherboard to my monitor! I have an AMD Duron 1200 Mhz processor (Pro 1800+, if that means anything besides what type of fan I have...and what it is rated for).

Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem would be...Is there any way to return my BIOS settings to the original configuration? I remember reading something about "flashing" the BIOS a year ago.

What can I do?

Thanks for the help. A friend of mine referred me to your site. He said I'd definitely get an answer, if there was one. This seems like a great place :0)

Seeya and Thanks!

I have doubts whether you have an infected BIOS. Boot virus prograoms went out of fad years ago and I haven't heard of any new ones hitting the streets (doesn't mean it can't be there, just doubtful). Since your system worked before you played in the BIOS and not after, I would guess it is more likely you accidentally changed something and the system has since hacked up a hairball.

Different motherboards have different methods of resetting the CMOS values to factory default. More than likely you will have a jumper somewhere on your board that allows you to do this. Check your manual to see where it is physically located on the mainboard and then let it sit in the CLEAR CMOS position for several minutes. It is also a good idea to unplug the power source from the PSU, but this is just a precaution as many will still reset values without this step.

If you decide a Flash is still required, then you'll want to get aboard the manufacturer's website and they should have detailed instructions and the necessary files to accomplish this, but make sure to follow their instructions EXACTLY!

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Hey, thanks a lot for the quick reply, Dt :0)

I'll try the manual first now that I know what I'm looking for, and then the manufacturer's site if that doesn't work.

I'll post here to keep you updated on my progress!

Thanks again!

EDIT: That was it! Hey, thanks a ton. :0) )

Funny, such a small thing and so simple to do, but I probably would have thought my MB was fried.

Gratzi and God Bless

Thread Information