Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case connections - please HELP!

HI need some help. got a new case and shifted everything from old one to this new one. problem is not sure how to connect the cables from the case to the motherboard. Now my mobo is the old MSI 440ZX one (not sure of model number -couldn't find this out last time we tried).
    The connectors are as follows:
    2 rows of pins - 9 pins in top row (away from front of case) - there is 1 pin on the left, then a gap where a pin may have existed followed by 7 more pins.
    the bottom row(closest to front of case) has 8 pins - again there is 1 pin on the left, then a gap and then 6 pins.
    So in total (minus the 2 gaps = 15pins)
    Now the cables I have off the case are:
    4 slots speaker cable
    2 slot HDD led
    2 slot Power SW
    2 slot reset SW
    1 +P Led
    1 -P Led

now of course there are other cables like for front usb etc but not interested in those as never had them on the old case. All i am interested in is getting the damn pc back up and running. :cry:
    Can anyone please help? :idea:
    Thanks
    Eye See You..........

can nobody help?
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Eye See You..........

Hmmm... missed this one somehow.

You'll need to come up with a manufacturer at least for your motherboard. The pinouts you're talking about are different by manufacturer. You might look on the motherboard for some identifiers to help you in your research. Common places to look are between the PCI slots and in the area by the memory modules. If you can pinpoint the manufacturer and chipset (which you already have), you can likely hit up their website and get the info you need.

If there are no markings, you might try something like SiSoft Sandra that gives basic system information and may be able to get the manufacturer from the CMOS info it scans.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

got a new case and shifted everything from old one to this new one
    You'll need to come up with a manufacturer at least for your motherboard
    Ok, I am confused here.. :? Lion says he got a new case and shifted everything from the old one.. so are you trying to find out the model number for the new case, or the mobo.. :? :?
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

The way I understand it he is looking for the pinout description for power switch, HDD LED, speakers, etc.
    My Toys

If I may...The Psu might be incompatible with the current motherboard if its old. Not sure if I even know what I'm talking about here,but thought this would help.

From the chipset indicator posted above, this is an i440ZX based mainboard. This would have been in the era of the old P2 and P3 processors if I recall... and they were ATX at this time.
    My Toys

sorry chaps let me make it a bit clearer. i got a new case and then transferred everything into the new case. Of course you then have new connections from the new PSU in the new case to the mobo and also from the case to the mobo to switch the pc on(which is where I am having problems).
    Also my Pc is a P3 450mhz. I will try either looking up on the mobo carefully just now to see if can find the manufacturer. does it make a difference if i play around with the cables and plus them in in any order in hope of finding the right one? can i blow up the mobo?
    thanks
    Eye See You..........

I dount if you would blow up the motherboard, but you could do damage to the headers or switches you're trying to hook up.

Try downloading something like SiSoft Sandra and see if it can tell you anything about the board's maker. This is important as I have two boards basically the same... one from EPoX and one from Soltek. Both of the pinouts are arranged differently.
    My Toys

on the mobo itself it says MS6156 - did net search on this mobo and went to the manual and connected as it showed yet my pc doesn't come on.I tried connecting to the old power supply and the old case connections in case the new ones were faulty but even the old ones don't work. if i plug in the HDD led in where on the manual it says plug in power swtich the HDD light comes on on the new case but the pc itself is no go.
    any suggestions??
    also if I replace this mobo in case that is faulty(never liked it in the first place) - can anyone recommend a cheap one which will run a P3 processor? not planning to spend much as looking to build brand new one soon but hoped to keep this as an extra. also would mobo advertised for p4 work with a P3 processor? my current mobo runs sdram so also would wanna try and keep to that as far as possible. hopefully can turn pc on somehow without having to replace anything
    thanks
    Eye See You..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information