Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: good motherboard

Does anyone know a good motherboard for the following setup. I will be palnning on getting more ram and another hdd too.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack
    Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550"
    Thermaltake Blue Highest Xaser III Super Tower Chassis Model "V1000D"
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Dynatron Aluminum Hard Disk Driver Cooler
    ATI RADEON 9800 Pro

I'm getting tired of saying this.....

Wait for socket-939 motherboards and processors. It won't be long until they're out. You might wait two-three weeks longer if you do, and you won't limit your upgrading options at all. Wheras getting a socket 754 motherboard now is stupid as it greatly limits your upgrading options.

You could get pretty much everything but the processor, RAM, and motherboard now. Just wait until early June and I'll get back to you on those.

yawg, not only have you been sounding like a broken record with your wait for "socket-939 motherboards and processors", now you call people stupid for wanting something today. Maybe he doesn't want to wait. Maybe he doesn't want a v.1.0 bios and drivers with his rig. Maybe when he upgrades, he always gets a new mb AND cpu. Maybe he just doesn't give a rat's ass what you think. I don't with your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    yawg, not only have you been sounding like a broken record with your wait for "socket-939 motherboards and processors"
    I'm pretty sure I implied that... I'm getting tired of saying this..... [/quote]

, now you call people stupid for wanting something today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Wheras getting a socket 754 motherboard now is stupid as it greatly limits your upgrading options.
    Yes, I see. "getting a socket 754 motherboard now" is a person now....
    Maybe he doesn't want to wait. Maybe he doesn't want a v.1.0 bios and drivers with his rig. Maybe when he upgrades, he always gets a new mb AND cpu.
    Maybe he doesn't want to waste $100 to $200 on something that will be replaced instead of upgraded. Maybe (no maybe about it, actually) those drivers will be the same as a motherboard using any other pin configuration, if, for example, that motherboard used the Nforce 3 chipset. :rolleyes:

Maybe..... he can fly.... maybe... maybe... maybe....
    Why don't you wait for him to post before *****ing? I would have come up with something if he didn't want to wait a few weeks. I was just trying to be helpful by informing him of the fact that he will be getting a motherboard with virutally no upgrade options if he doesn't wait.

You don't think support for dual-channel, unbuffered ram will not require a rework of the drivers and bios yawg? How about some new features on the South bridge? Did he say "upgrading will be really important to me"? I know that when I upgrade, I usually do at least the mb and cpu, sell the old ones in a rig I build for someone. Just because someone doesn't see things your way, doesn't mean they are stupid.

KoolDrew
    I apologise for forgetting to answer your question (got distracted, sorry). There are a number of quality mbs to go with your very good choices on the other components. Often, the final choice will depend on the feature set and price when looking at top tier manufacturers. Asus, Abit, and MSI all offer very good products (they are not the only ones either). Look at the offerings on their websites and compare features. Compare prices at a major vender such as Newegg. Pick a couple of models to run a Google search on. You will probably find links to several reviews where you can see if there are any issues with those boards that might concern you. I'm sure you will enjoy your new rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I'm getting tired of saying this.....

Wait for socket-939 motherboards and processors. It won't be long until they're out. You might wait two-three weeks longer if you do, and you won't limit your upgrading options at all. Wheras getting a socket 754 motherboard now is stupid as it greatly limits your upgrading options.

You could get pretty much everything but the processor, RAM, and motherboard now. Just wait until early June and I'll get back to you on those.
    And this is coming from someone who upped me for telling someone to wait a couple of weeks ago. :roll:

Anyway the socket 939 Athlon 64's with 512KB L2 cache and dual memory controllers will be released this week at Taiwan's Computex (I can't wait to see the reviews myself).

Personal opinion here. Don't play the frickin waiting game, because if you do you'll end up with new hardware that was overpriced and has bugs out the ass. Buy what you can with what you have when your ready to buy, don't wait.

In this case I'll disagree as the socket 754 format will be the Duron's replacement (limited upgrade path) while the socket 939 format will be the mainstream desktop replacement plus both the nForce3 250 and K8T800P have been out for a bit now in socket 754 though both chipsets were designed with socket 939 in mind so any "bugs" will be very unlikely as the CPU and socket are the main changes, not the chipsets.

Thats ok. It is better to waiut because I do want to have more upgrading options

Thread Information