Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dual channel amd?

Default Dual channel amd?

I'm planning my system out and am interested in an amd 64 system (3200-3400). Looking for as much information as possible I've seen that the socket 754 motherboard doesn't support dual channeling and that the 939 does, or at least that's what I've gathered.
    At newegg they have these two 939 mb's and was wondering if this one the "abit av8 k8t800 has" dual channeling capabilities? It doesn't say it does like this one the "asus a8v k8t800" does?

Would getting a motherboard with dual channeling and say a pair of 512 pc3200 sticks in d.c. mode be a much better/faster choice than a motherboard with a 754 socket and all of it's 3-4 dimm slots filled with 512 pc3200 ram, if I were to max out it's dimm slots?

I'm a definate noob so any help would be appreciated:D

Default Re: Dual channel amd?

The socket dictates whether a setup is dual channel or not with A64 setups and not the chipset, s754 = single channel and s939 = dual channel, as the memory controller/s are located in the A64 core and not the northbridge of the mainboard chipset as with other platforms (around 4% is the advantage difference between benchmarks that dual has over single but going with the s939 will give you a future performance upgrade path where the s754 won't).

Default Re: Dual channel amd?

Thanks for the reply:D

Thread Information