Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: amd pci express mobo

Default amd pci express mobo

anyone know of any mobo that come with pci express. i wanted to get it now coz i was thinking of upgrading my video card to the new x600xt from ati that asus currently offers. Also i currently have an anthalon 1800. was wondering if it was worth upgrading to a 64 bit version yet.. although i don't want to have to buy new ram.. well i guess the question is then.. is there a mobo for amd anthlon xp, that supports pci-express.. thanks.. i couldn't find one like...

Default Re: amd pci express mobo

To answer the question, no, there is no Socket A motherboard supporting PCI-E (nor is there a chipset supporting socket A PCI-E). Whether or not there will be one, I don't know. There will be nForce4 for sockets 754, 939, and 940, which will give PCI-E support.

However, there is abosulutely no reason to get a PCI-E video card. I don't mean the reasons not to get one outweigh the reasons to get one, I mean there isn't one good reason to get one currently. The AGP equivelents actually beat the more expensive PCI-E cards. While there are many advantages to PCI-E, they aren't in the graphics department and won't be for some time. For graphics, it's just more bandwidth. AGP 8x is already more than anything uses. Maybe a year or two from now applications and video cards will take advantage of PCI-E. In the mean time, stick with AGP.

Regarding the X600XT, don't get it. It's terrible. It's basically a little faster than a 9600XT for the price of a 9800 Pro, which is a lot faster than an X600XT.

You should be upgrading the rest of your system anyway. An Athlon 64 is a great idea, but you'll need a new motherboard and new RAM (unless you actually have PC3200 in your current machine, which I doubt). All of that combined will be over $300 (U.S.), on top of a $200+ video card. That's assuming your current PSU, HDD, and case are all going to be taken from what you're using now. The PSU will probably need to be replaced, too...

I too would wait. Next year, the A64 setups will be cheaper, and PCIe will have matured by then. Also, top-end video cards should be available by then---as in, you can find them.

Thanks guys.. that was really informative.. i believe you've answered all of my questions.. thanks..

So exactly when should the A64s become cheaper. I am starting a new build and want to do a 64 bit build. I guess I'll get everything except the motherboard and CPU.

I don't know that A64s are going to get much cheaper. They are already incredibly cheap for their performance. AMD could increase the price by 10% and still have the entire A64 line have more bang-for-buck than the entire P4 line. AMD already dropped the price by 30% a while ago. It's nForce 4 you'll have to wait for, if you want PCI-E. If you don't have any use for PCI-E, then there's little reason to wait.

Thread Information