Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need Guidance

Question Need Guidance

I'm not new to computers...i know the common stuff and more advanced stuff but when it comes to looking for a new motherboard most of this stuff just flys over my head ...so i tought here would be a good place to look for some help.

I'm going to buy the AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - Retail

So what i need help with is, what is the best motherboard for me to get, that will give me the most bang for my buck...i know it has to be a K8 or something like that but im not sure. If possible browse around newegg because I'v bought from them before and there awsome.

thanx in advance for the help
    Last edited by xTYRANTx; 08-15-2004 at 11:50 AM.

Default Re: Need Guidance

Coincidently, I was just reading up on the subject of good socket 754 motherboards.

I can tell you right now that the Chaintech VNF3-250 is arguably the best motherboard you can get (without getting a bunch more features) and one of the cheapest (ie best bang-for-buck). If you need something with more onboard stuff (gigabit ethernet, Firewire, etc. ) you'll have to pay more. The MSI K8N NEO Platinum or EPoX EP-8KDA3+ would be good if you need more features.

For more information, read this Anandtech article

You may be able to get a cheaper board if you go for something that isn't good for overclocking and such. Just get something wth the nForce 3 250 (or nForce 3 250GB if you want gigabit ethernet) chipset as the alternative chipsets (even the K8T800 Pro) simply aren't as good.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-15-2004 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: Need Guidance

i second the neo platinum board =P

Thread Information