Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

Default Re: something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

alright, i don't know much about different motherboards...but uhm i'd like not to have to reformat the HD if possible, they have lots of stuff on there that they would like to keep. Should i try to find the same motherboard used? If thats a really bad idea, could anyone list some exact models that could work to prevent me from reformating but could work with the 1.4ghz tbird?

If im not going to be able to get things to work w/ the same hd, I may be getting them a new case/new cpu/new mobo. What mobo companies are putting out quality goods these days and what prices am I looking at for something that will keep them well off for a few years? thanks for all the help

Any SocketA motherboard should work with that CPU. Unless you get the exact same motherboard and are lucky, you will have to reformat.

ok, with the acceptance of that. Say I wanted to get some files off that HD..my computer has a raptor sata HD, can i just take my parents HD...hook it up to the 2nd IDE cable and access the files? if not, then could someone explain how I can go about getting some files off of it?

thanks again

Your idea should work just fine. You'll want to make sure you set the jumpers on the hard drive properly, but you'll be able to access the files and copy them over.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ok i got my parents some new parts..put it all together but i cant seem to get windows to reinstall..if the cdrom boots the windows cd, it gives me a message saying that windows doesnt like the drives or something, check for viruses blah blah. So what i want to do is clear it all out, but the boot disk doesnt seem to want to fdisk. argh.. so now ive stuck their hd into my computer to try to see if i can do it from here (like talked about above)..however it doesnt even come up in bios. here is the setup i put it in

my usual hd is a SATA drive..so the main ide cable slot was always blank
    the 2nd ide slot hooks up to the cdr and the dvd drives.

so i took their hd and put it in this case, plugged the main ide cable into the hd and booted..but it wasnt in bios or anything. so any ideas?

im just trying to format the thing to ntfs so i can do a fresh reinstall of windows on the hd!

maybe it has to do with the jumper setting on the hd i just stuck in? however i cant find the settings ont he back of drive or online..so any ideas?

if you can't find any settings just take the jumper off and see what hapens.

Question Re: something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

what normally should happen?

in other news..stuck the hd back into the new case with the new parts..but now the cd rom drives arent registering or something. before it would try to boot from the winxp pro cd and then give me the error saying to restart or scan for viruses. now it gets past the boot to floppy still and then it doesnt see cd rom drives there..so it just says "missing operating system". Oh and it says "secondary master hard drive failed" on the screen before that and it makes me press f1 to continue. so here is the setup there...

main ide cable going to hd, which shows up in bios.
    2nd ide cable going to dvdrom first and then to cdr. both are set to cable select jumper settings now.

why is the secondary master failing?\=

Quote Originally Posted by evann
    main ide cable going to hd, which shows up in bios.
    2nd ide cable going to dvdrom first and then to cdr. both are set to cable select jumper settings now.

why is the secondary master failing?\=
    I take it that by "cdr" you're refering to a burner?
    If so then set it as the master and the DVD as the slave of the secondary IDE channel (burners tend to prefer things better set as the master).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information