Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

Default something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

ok guys, my parents call me up and tell me they unplugged their PC because it smells like burning plastic. i sigh, and head over to check it out the next day. I get there and they opened it up in search of something burnt or whatever, but turned up nothing. So i dust it out and clean things up and start searching for anything broke/burnt and suddenly i realize a piece of the motherboard nestled on the video card.

ok now, the motherboard is the following

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images...1/8k7a-big.jpg

an epox board, had no problems ever..you see the 4 heatsink looking things in between the CPU slot and the AGP slot? Right above the mobo model # in the graphic..appear almost white.. two things are facing up, two facing right. well the top left one in that picture was nestled ontop of the video card. I tried to see how it fell out and if i could put it back..apparently it isnt a snapon part

so what the hell is that thing? and can i fix it? i mean i built the computer and all,but have built only a few and dont consider myself an expert. redoing the entire thing is gonna strain some wallets and time..whats the verdict?

Default Re: something fell off the mobo, lol, tell what this part is..

Have you checked the manual to see what it is used for? In the picture it looks to be a passive cooling setup of some sort, but it also looks to be connected with a screw to a bracket that comes out of the mainboard. To be honest, it isn't looking good.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Those are mosfets and their coolers, and if theres nothing left where the sink was the mobo is pretty well fubar unless you've got some macho soldering skills.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Those are mosfets and their coolers, and if theres nothing left where the sink was the mobo is pretty well fubar unless you've got some macho soldering skills.
    yah i cant solder at all...blah, below where it cameout there is a hole..and 3 lil dots where the prongs touched i get..so u think i'd be better off getting a new mobo? sigh..if i get a new mobo, must i reformat hd and **** again or can i just plug the **** in and be good to go?

You can use the same install (most of the time) if you replace the motherboard with another that has the same chipset and feature set.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Those are heatsinks for the mainboard's power regulation and are screwed into alloy risers that are bonded to the mosfets.
    You will either have to screw the heatsink back onto the riser or bond the riser back onto the mosfet using a thermal adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    Those are heatsinks for the mainboard's power regulation and are screwed into alloy risers that are bonded to the mosfets.
    You will either have to screw the heatsink back onto the riser or bond the riser back onto the mosfet using a thermal adhesive.
    well i tried to align the holes, and there is not gonna be away to screw it on cause the lil screw doesnt seem to fit into the hole. but if i got a thermal adhesive u think i could just lay a dab right on the hole and the 3 dots the prong stick to? sounds more promising than the "its a done motherboard" that my friends are giving me, thanks man.

wayout44 was under the impression only the cooler fell off I believe. Anyway, since the mobo is pretty well done if you cannot fix that, you always can try and get it reattached in some radical ways, though soldering really is the most viabole solution and most likely to work and last, if you can find someone who can do it. (I'm refering to the 3 pins of the mosfet that need reattached to the motherboard)

probably cant find someone good at soldering..so next step would be to replace the mobo. i do believe (hey it was built like 3 years ago i think) that there is 1.4ghz amd tbird in there..uhm i would wanna get them a nice board that they could upgrade in the future but is backwards compatible if they dont want to get a new cpu. i dont think they wanna spend tons of cash on everything.

start listing some good choices =)

There are quite a few quality nForce2 mainboards around that you could insert that Athlon into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information