Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel Motherboards

Lightbulb Intel Motherboards

Are they good? Is it worth getting pci-express? Is serial ATA worth it?? All comments are welcomed and very much appreciated as I am building my first system. I wanted to build a new system and was putting together the following items:

Ultra Dragon Glossy Silver ATX Mid Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB & FireWire and Ultra 500Watt Power Supply $99

Chaintech GeForce PCX 5700 / 256MB / PCI Express / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card $169

Kingston 1024MB PC4200 533Mhz DDR2 Memory $329

Seagate 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200 / 8MB / 8.5 / S-ATA-150 2@ $79

Speeze Socket 775 / Intel Prescott 3.4Ghz / Dual Ball Bearing / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan $39

Intel D915PBLL Socket 775 ATX Motherboard and Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2Ghz Processor $379

Total price thru tiger direct $1180

Default Re: Intel Motherboards

Quote Originally Posted by james007
    Are they good? Is it worth getting pci-express? Is serial ATA worth it??
    No; rarely; yes.

Use Newegg instead of Tiger Direct.

If you need your computer to use something like a gigabit ethernet adapter, or SCSI/RAID (or SATA/RAID) adapter, PCI-E would be something you would have use for. It will also have use when BTX replaces ATX. It has no use in the graphics department (other than dual SLI, which is a waste of money), and won't for quite some time. If you need PCI-E, it's worth waiting until socket 754 and socket 939 (both AMD sockets) have good boards available with PCI-E.

In the mean time, there are a few changes you should make, assuming you're going to be overclocking and the primary use for this is gaming (which I can decern by looking at your hardware).

Unless you really like the case, get something cheaper. There are some nice, but cheap, $26 Raidmax cases at Newegg that are quite nice. I'd suggest a 420W PSU from Thermaltake for this system, which will be about $40.

I'd say change the video card to a GeForce 6800, which will cost $280, give or take $5, but it won't be hard for me to cut the price in other areas.

You could get some Crucial Ballistix PC3200 if you're goign to be doing some heavy overclocking. A couple sticks will cost $280, but should put the overclocking limitation back on the temperature. Or, you could save yourself some money and get something cheaper, like Corsair XMS PC3200. Athlon 64s don't gain much by operating at 1:1, so you don't really need expensive overclocking RAM. I'd suggest you save $50 and go with that Corsair. Just run it async from the CPU's base clock (FSB on a non-K8 CPU) and leave it at stock timings for best performance. The money saved here alone gets you a much more powerful video card than what you were looking at.

Make the motherboard an MSI K8N Neo Platinum. It's one of the best socket 754 motherboards out there. I'm assuming you can't find the DFI LANParty UT nF3 250Gb, since Newegg doesn't carry it. That's just about the best motherboard money can buy for a socket 754 system.

For a heat sink/fan, I'd suggest a Thermaltake Venus 12, along with some Arctic Silver 5. That should let you overclock pretty far.

A Seagate 80Gb SATA is perfect.

Spend the rest on the processor. Your choices are the Sempron 3100 (I wouldn't recommend it), Athlon 64s with PR ratings between 2800-3400, and the Athlon 64 3700. Get whatever you feel like paying for, and get an OEM version as it will be cheaper and not have the HSF, which you donn't need. With my changes, the price should be under $900 before the CPU, so you have quite a bit of room here. If you want, you can change the motherboard to an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, and get an Athlon 64 3500 as your processor. That allows you to run the RAM in dual channel, and has better upgrading options. But the 3500 alone goes for about $350, so you may want to stick with a socket 754 setup, depending on your budget.

Thread Information