Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with MSI Neo PT880/Radeon 9700 Pro

Default Help with MSI Neo PT880/Radeon 9700 Pro

Computer I built:
    MSI Neo PT880 Motherboard
    Radeon 9700 Pro Video
    Sun Cheer 350W Power Supply
    512 MB Kreton Memory PC2700
    SATA Western Digital 120MB 8M Cache 7200 RPM
    Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW

Ever since I built this system in 3/2004 I have problems with it hanging on the boot and giving me a sequence of beeps and never posting. Beeps corrspond to video and memory errors. This problem is intermittent and sometimes it will boot fine. Once booted it never fails and works fine. Here is a list of things I have tried. The only consistent thing so far is that if I install a cheaper video board (One without an extra Power Supply connection) the problem goes away.

1.) New MSI PT880 Motherboard
    2.) Kingston Hyper PC3200 Memory
    3.) New Radeon 9700 Pro
    4.) New Hard Drive
    5.) 400W Antec Power Supply (149$)
    6.) Radeon 9600 SE
    7.) GeForce 5700
    8.) New Prescott 2.8GHZ Processor

Im going crazy and sometimes I have to push the power button ten times to get this computer to boot. Any suggestions?

Post Re: Help with MSI Neo PT880/Radeon 9700 Pro

I think some MSI boards in general have a compatibility problem with radeon graphics cards, in particular 9700\9800 cards. Maybe a BIOS update could help? Im not sure of the power settings for that particular system setup...

Default Re: Help with MSI Neo PT880/Radeon 9700 Pro

Its very likely that your 350W PSU could be to blame by not being able to supply enough power to your setup and I would suggest that a quality 420W+ one be used instead.

Help me with a good quality PSU. I bought a 400W Real Power Antec from Best Buy and it was expensive by my PSU standards at $100 I believe, and what I could find on the net said it was good (Toms Hardware). When I tried it to no avail, they were good about the return.

Quote Originally Posted by stowne1
    Computer I built:
    MSI Neo PT880 Motherboard
    Radeon 9700 Pro Video
    Sun Cheer 350W Power Supply
    512 MB Kreton Memory PC2700
    SATA Western Digital 120MB 8M Cache 7200 RPM
    Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW

Ever since I built this system in 3/2004 I have problems with it hanging on the boot and giving me a sequence of beeps and never posting. Beeps corrspond to video and memory errors. This problem is intermittent and sometimes it will boot fine. Once booted it never fails and works fine. Here is a list of things I have tried. The only consistent thing so far is that if I install a cheaper video board (One without an extra Power Supply connection) the problem goes away.

1.) New MSI PT880 Motherboard
    2.) Kingston Hyper PC3200 Memory
    3.) New Radeon 9700 Pro
    4.) New Hard Drive
    5.) 400W Antec Power Supply (149$)
    6.) Radeon 9600 SE
    7.) GeForce 5700
    8.) New Prescott 2.8GHZ Processor

Im going crazy and sometimes I have to push the power button ten times to get this computer to boot. Any suggestions?
    I'v got exactly the same problem as you.. but i have an old MSI board and and a readeon 9700 pro.. and same weird ****ty boot probem as you...

I have also bought a new power supply.. an antec neopower 480W.. and the problem is the same.. it's really penible !!

Quote Originally Posted by stowne1
    Help me with a good quality PSU. I bought a 400W Real Power Antec from Best Buy and it was expensive by my PSU standards at $100 I believe, and what I could find on the net said it was good (Toms Hardware). When I tried it to no avail, they were good about the return.
    Same problem, or it didn't work at all? If it didn't work at all, you could try getting another or getting a 420W Thermaltake (which is cheap). I really doubt it's just incapatability with the video card, but you could test it out with a cheaper card (PCI or AGP) to make sure.

I am having a similar problem except my system keeps rebooting at random. It wont even let me finish the WIn XP Pro install. I will try a different video card.

My system:

PT880 Neo-LSR Intel P4 3.0E Prescott 1Mb Cache Copper Heatsink Extra Cooling,
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR2 Video Card (AGP 8X), Maxtor 120Mb Hard Drive (ATA133), Elixir PC3200 DDR400 (2x512Mb) 1Gb Memory, 40X CD-ROM Drive, New Case with (High Power) 420 Watts Power supply and extra cooling.
    I have tried every possible configuration and updated the BIOS to the latest. I will let you know what I find out.

Could be an insufficient PSU, or maybe heat problems. Make sure you mounted the heatsink properly and used a thermal compound of some sort.

You could also try raising the memory voltage to 2.7v.

Angry Re: Help with MSI Neo PT880/Radeon 9700 Pro

THE SITUATION: I just switched to a system running the MSI PT880 with my Radeon 9800xt. The power supply is a 480w Thermaltake Xaser something as opposed to the old 430w one that came with my $22 case, so the power supply shouldn't be a problem. It is most likely the motherboard. I've temporarily switched in an old ATI rage something that is total crap but doesn't crash.

THE PROBLEM: at random times my VPU will crash. I know that because a few times the ATI VPU Recovery caught it, only to have it crash again soon. My screen may become all scrambly or it may just freeze. Most of the time it turns black, but sometimes even then I can hear windows shutting down. Sometimes it does work (and when it does it works awesome). I had it running for over seven hours once until I willfully restarted it. But it crashes most of the time.

(NOT) SOLUTIONS: it is definately not a driver problem. I had the latest Catalyst drivers, tried the Omega drivers, and even uninstalled all drivers and it still crashed. My card worked fine on some cheap Chaintech motherboard, so the card is fine. It is not overheating: the case is at about 78 F and the CPU 100 F, consistantly. (although I don't know if the card is overheating or not, whenever I checked the temp it was normal, but that was when it was working for extended periods of time)

ANY TIPS?

Can I maybe change some stuff in the BIOS that will make it not crash?

Can I update the BIOS or something? If so - how do i do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information