Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new athlon 64 system won't turn on

Default new athlon 64 system won't turn on

Building my first system and encountered a big problem. I have a athlon 64 3400 and a dfi lan party nforce3 gb motherboard. Hooked aeverything up as right as I can tell, but when I turn the power button on all I get is a low "zzztttt" sound from the psu for about 1 second then nothing, no fans spinning nothing and it won't make the sound again. The motherboard lights are on the whole time just nothing from the fans or psu. If I turn the power off/on it will do that low noise again.

I haven't finished hooking everything up yet just trying to see if the power will work bbefore I finish the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: new athlon 64 system won't turn on

Could also be a faulty PSU, if you have another atx motherboard try it on there and see if it does the same thing.

If that works make sure all connectors on the motherboard to all devices that are connected to your system are pluged in correctly...

On a harsher matter, are you sure you the CPU in correctly... systems tend not to like that.... Its pretty hard to do though...
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

ok got it to start up, but now I get a blue screen. Telling me something's not right with the setup. I can get into the cmos area but not sure what to do to get it to start up. Should I start with a freshly formatted harddrive? The harddrive I'm using is from a p4 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi'mera
    Should I start with a freshly formatted harddrive? The harddrive I'm using is from a p4 system.
    Most definately as as the OS needs to talk to an entirely different system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi'mera
    ok got it to start up, but now I get a blue screen. Telling me something's not right with the setup. I can get into the cmos area but not sure what to do to get it to start up. Should I start with a freshly formatted harddrive? The harddrive I'm using is from a p4 system.
    yah there's no way windows will talk to your new pc. It's jealous of it and says no! lol. on a serious note Windows has some issues with changing to much hardware. As most overclockers know, you could raise the CPU FSB by 2 mhz and all of a sudden Windows gives Blue screen, but put it back down 2 mhz windows is all happy again. Stupid microsoft!
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../clockwork.jpg

Reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows on it then tell us if there are any more problems.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

You almost always need to reinstall the operating system, (prefereably with a complete reformat, but it's not a necessity) regardless of the operating system. Any Linux you install will also be configured to run on a different system, though you still might be able to get a CLI from which you can change things without reinstalling. With Windows, it's just not going to work without a reinstall unless it's an identical motherboard (and even then, it might not work).

Thanks fpr the responses fellows:D I wish I would have gotten this info. yesterday before the frustration started LOL. But I did figure it out at about 12:30 last night,seems to be running fine now.

Thank you all for the help

Thread Information