Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Default Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

The board telling the PSU to give too much power to components could be the issue, so hopefully the new board will fix it.

Unhappy Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Hi,
    I overheard the conversation by googing "temperature" and "MSI K8N Neo2."
    I have the same mobo and CPU (Winchester 3500+). Mobo shuts down not long after I try installing XP. BIOS shows idle temp at about 46-50 degrees C. But when I put my hand on the base of the HSF it doesn't feet all that hot. I've read that the Winchester is supposed to idle (even RUN) cooler than that, and wonder if the problem is an incorrect reporting of the temp. I've read that some mobos/BIOSs have had such problems and wondered if the same thing had been reported for BIOS 1.4 for this mobo? Yes, the base of the HSF seems warmer when the system shuts down, but I really doubt it's anything close to 90 degrees C. That would be almost boiling hot! RMA'd the mobo today. I know the problem is not that the system is overtaxing the PSU. I upgraded that from 380W to 480W, swapped the Radeon 9600 SE (passive cooling because it doesn't draw that much current) with a Radeon 7000 (which draws even less), and removed everything but one HDD and a DVD unit. 1GB Corsair RAM. Shuts down before XP installation finishes formatting the HDD. I hope it's not the CPU that's causing this. It's too late to RMA that to the retailer.
    --sothoner

Question Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Hi,

I'm new to all this and I can't really help with previous contributor's questions but I'm having similar issues myself. Am I right in assuming that I have a temp issue with the following:
    k8n ne02 platinum
    athlon 64 3500 socket 939.
    MSI 5900 Ultra graphic card ( with built-in MASSIVE heat sink & two fans)

After installing windows, setting up drivers etc etc etc. Play a game. All seems ok so I shutdown, go to bed.
    Next day, turn on power and fans kick in ok and then immediately shutdown. That's it, nothing else happens. If I reset the power, try again, same repsonse.
    So, overnight, my system has gone from working ok to no longer booting. I've now replaced the PSU and the case ( now with 3 built in fans) .

Can anyone help me please?

Red face Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Hi,
    Update: I RMA'd the mobo and received a refund. I bought the same mobo from another retailer and installed it using the same hardware. When I reinstalled the CPU fan, I googled for the proper way to use Arctic Silver 5 (use a small glob the size of 1-1/2 rice grains in the center of the heat spreader on the CPU, twist the heatsink a few degrees each way upon mating the surfaces to spread it). Don't know which--the replacement mobo or the more carefully applied Arctic Silver 5--solved the problem (I may have used too much Arctic Silver 5 the first time), but the problem was solved. System running stable with all hardware attached for many hours now. (I researched and found that the AMD 3500+ shuts down if it isn't happy with its temperature. Don't know if that was my problem or not, but such action is hardwired within the CPU and would not be affected by BIOS or mobo. FWIW.)
    --sothoner

Default Re: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

P.S. HDDs definately do not like to be powered down during a format operation. Had to return two brand new HDDs which had become very tempermental and would no longer work smoothly after all that shutdown stuff. fdisk. reformat. same problems. fdisk. reformat. same problems. They were way very not happy about being interrupted in the middle of a format.
    --sothoner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information