Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: motherboard identification

Default Re: motherboard identification

Since you say you have a p4 2.6GHZ CPU (good CPU no need to upgrade yet) and we have determined its a socket 478 I'll write you book here about the mainboards you might consider for the CPU you alraedy have.

Your Aspire case has 2 x USB2.0, 1 x IEEE1394, 2 x Audi0 front ports so you should choose a mainboard with those features unless you don't care to use them (I know I have no use for them, except the USB ports) but maybe you do or someone that you might sell your system to down the road might also. Boards with integrated IEEE1394 seem to run a bit more $$ and limit your selection. Its kinda useless if you ask me but some extrnal drives can use IEEE1394 or more often USB 2.0.. You can always buy an IEEE1394 PCI connector for the back of your system if you really feel you need that. (bout $10)... I believe all of these boards listed below have front USB and 1 audio hookup.

Going Mainboard shopping for you.......

I recommend a mainboard with the I865PE chipset on it but they cost a little more than most.
    This would be a nice one made by MSI.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-450&depa=0

If your CPU supports hyperthreading (HT) then you could go with a board that supports that feature also. You can still get an HT board even if your CPU does not support that feature.

Heres a niCe ASUS board. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-484&depa=0

Now if you feel you need that front IEEE1394 port. I'd go this way. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-492&depa=0

If you want to go with a cheaper brand and still get a good upgrade from what you have I'd check out this board for only $68. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-109&depa=0

Well now you should have a general idea of what you need. Any brand of board from Newegg will work with your case as long as its ATX format, just make sure it supports your 478 socket CPU and your memory then you should be set. I'd do a little shopping around or you could even consider a refurbished board and download the manual and drivers for it to save some cash. Don't worry about finding a manual for it we are not talking HP here, and since you have already gone this far into it those system panel connectors will be a breeze to connect once you get your new board:).

Heres some nice refurbished boards that'll save you big$$.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pe=Refurbished

Hers a nice ASUS board with your front IEEE1394 hookup for the case.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-16-2005 at 08:18 AM.

much thanks, i was lookin around for a new one on the net and found the same one you posted a link for the ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard. I know that asus is a good brand so i was eyeing that one.

quick question is this a good value buy for now if i would be upgrading my processor/board in a year or a little more, and how much of a performance gain would i see if i bought a new 1?? also what exactly is a refurbished board?

oh ya this may sound like a stupid question but kind of ram sockets does it need to be to support ddr pc3200 ram. like for example it says supports ddr400,333,222 stuff like that.
    Last edited by steve-0o0; 01-16-2005 at 08:24 AM.

Its a good upgrade for now but if you are going to upgrade your CPU down the road, I'm guessing you will be getting a different mainboard since socket 478 days are limited. Your P4 2.6 GHZ CPU is good for now. I built a system for someone with that speed of CPU a year ago and it runs all the latest and greatest games like a champ at defualt settings and believe me your 9800 pro video card will smoke the Geforce FX5600 card I slapped into that one.

Also all those boards are good with your ram. DDR pc 3200 is good stuff . Just make sure its 184 pin-Dimm ram and your set. Yours probably is 333 speed.

Refrubished at Newegg means it was previously used but sent back within its 30 day warranty period. It's a bad board that was made good or most likely someone sent it back becuase they didn't know what they were doing and thought something didn't work right but it probably did, most likely an incompatibility issue with other hardware . Newegg sells good refurbished boards. I've had excellent luck with all the refurbished stuff I've ever ordered from there to date including mainboards. You only get a 15 day warranty period from Newegg versus 30 day when a mainboards refurbished but I beleive the manufactures warranty is still in full, read the fine print just incase you have concerns. For a $40 mainboard, what the heck, thats like what 1 video game cost!
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-16-2005 at 11:07 AM.

i can see what your saying but can you answer my question on how much of a performance increase i would see with the duel channel and agp8x upgrades. keep in mind that i alrdy have a gig of ram that isnt duel channel but i have 2 identical pc3200 512 sticks laying around for the duel channel plus im flashing my 9800pro to a 9800xt.

and again would it really be worth it?

i am eyeing the ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard all i hear is good things from it.

By looking at your old mainboard I'd say it would be a noticable upgrade. What exactly are you looking at doing anyway? If your happy with the board you have, I'd say stick it back in the HP case and learn to live with it until you feel the need to upgrade. I could never live with that HP system.

The new chipset on the new board would be a gain in performance, the 8X AGP would be a small gain but noticable with that nice video card that you have, and ATA 133 would be even a smaller gain in hard drive speed providing your harddrive is capable of that versus the ATA 66\100 that your old baord has. HT is a small gain if your CPU is capable of that. Dual channel is a small gain but considering your old board is a real peice of work, I think one of those cheaper boards I showed you would be well worth the upgrade when you add everything up. MSI also makes good boards and the real MSI boards that I've ran across lately are very simple to overclock in the bios, you'd never be able to get that old chipset and board to do that, but a P4 2.6 GHZ cpu, combined with a healthy motherboard without any bottlenecks using that Radeon 9800 pro video card would play the latest and greatest video games at a medium to high setting without any overclocking.

Things you should also consider is your operating system. Do you have a full version of Windows XP? If a disk came with your HP system you should be able to use that as long as you slipstream it on another disk using a program called nlite. The floppy drive from your HP case might not have a front cover so you might want a new diskette drive ($10 at newegg) if you feel you need one. It might be a good time to upgrade your harddrive if you feel the need for more storage space. Pick up a little thermal paste at a local computer shop ($1 or less) or order some fancy stuff from Newegg to put between the heatsink and CPU, and make sure you clean the old stuff off before you install it. Now you should be set!

hmm i think im gonna take your advice and get a new one. it seems with all those small upgrades it would add up to a noticable upgrade.
    and dont worry im not computer iliterate i can install, overclock, format whatever with ease nowadays. the only hp thing left in this comp is that board, eveything else has either been upgraded or wasn't a hp product to begin with.

Yeah, as I remember, it was hell putting a different mobo into a dell case.
    i had to crimp new connectors to the wires and guess and check what was for what. got it to work though.

i have a H.P Pavilion 764n with the MS- 6577 mob i have 2x 512 MB DDR a western digital 200GB and Maxtor 80gb a ULTRA 400 watt psu it sits on top since it wont fit the compact case "lol" a PNY 6600gt 128MB video card AGP the original was a MX 440 128MB ."call of duty" runs fine i have not done any over clock or play dooms but so far it works fine this computer ran 24/7 for the last 2 years . the MS- 6577 is not a great or fancy board but it does the job fine but im building one soon from scratch .

Quote Originally Posted by Baggage
    Yeah, as I remember, it was hell putting a different mobo into a dell case.
    i had to crimp new connectors to the wires and guess and check what was for what. got it to work though.
    my cpu mount broke a guy install a chaintech mob he cut and butcher the conectors the thing keept screwing up "my first computer i built" i took the cpu mount off the chaintech put it in my MS- 6577 assemble the whole thing now it runs fine . $80.00 for a $2.00 mount. that was the last time a tech well touch any computer of my and H.P dont sell the on and off switch "i try" this was at tigerdirect. im building a new one soon my pc door is off so i can turn it on/off until i figure out HOW to rig it "tight space to work is a *****. H.P Pavilion 764 N .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information