Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: buying new board

Default buying new board

Ok i have decided to go ahead and get a new MB , CPU and Video card. I have looed up some motherboards and i need some advice, since its gonna be my 1st Athlon cpu since the K6's. I dont really care for the SLI, since i am not looking at getting 2 video cards. I tried looking for nForce 4 Ultra boards and not much luck ( it was recommended in a previous post ) was going to go with the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ . I was looking at Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 for the board, but not too sure cause it has SLI. Is that a disable feature to have SLI off? if so would that be a great board. ( i can also use my DDR400 with that, but want to replace that later own for faster better ram. Im not sure on which video card im gonna go with for now, debating. This is gonna be a gaming PC mostly so trying to go for performance. I would be using a thermaltake Xaser III case and the better AMD fan from Thermaltake as well. was gonna upgrade my 450 power supply to http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower...0049atx12v.htm

Thanks in advance for the advice, you guys have been very helpful with other posts

Ken

Default Re: buying new board

If you get an SLI board, they all have the option of disabling SLI. There is a selector on the board that puts it into either dual or single video card mode. You do not have to use dual video cards on a SLI board.

If you're not going to use SLI, just get nForce 4 Ultra. They aren't hard to find at all anymore. Here are two from the only retailer I use for hardware:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-484&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-049&depa=0

Even if you do want SLI, nForce 4 Ultra boards can be safely modded to be SLI boards with no disadvantage.

To mod an Ultra board to a SLI board would also require a second slot for the second video card. Also, there was reported to be a slight performance difference in SLI mode of about 10% between a modded Ultra board and a native SLI board with the SLI one coming out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by beavo451
    To mod an Ultra board to a SLI board would also require a second slot for the second video card. Also, there was reported to be a slight performance difference in SLI mode of about 10% between a modded Ultra board and a native SLI board with the SLI one coming out on top.
    I'd suggest you read this.

In any case, it doesn't matter as he won't be using SLI.

Thanks for Info guys, will let ya know how it goes when i get everything a the next few weeks :)

ken

Thread Information