Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: dell motherboard .....overclocking

Default need help with........ dell motherboard

I have read some of the stuff in the overclocking forums. i have a dell mobo . i want to overclock my computer but i cant tweak my mobo. so can you people help me find a new mobo.
    Last edited by denbradt; 06-11-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Default Re: dell motherboard .....overclocking

Hmmm... since it is a Dell I think I can pretty safely assume it is an Intel processor, but a little more information would be helpful here so we can make a sound recommendation.

Also you should be aware that odds are good you'll need a new PSU as well since I have heard that Dell uses a different pinout for their 20-pin connection to the mainboard. Gotta love those companies that wanna make a proprietary system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

OK there it is . look at the #1 rig for more info. also the sound is integrated.

if any more info is need please let me know.

thanks
    #1 rig......................#2 rig .......................................
    p4 2.8 with ht ..........p4 1.8
    40 gig hard drive.....20 gig hard drive
    256mb of ram...........128mb of ram
    DVD ROM drive.......CD-R drive
    128mb X300 SE........32mb geforce 2
    dell m-board..............gateway motherboard
    no floppy....................floppy

Just my personal opinion, but it looks as though it may be time to branch out and start building your own system. A P4-2.8 and only 256MB RAM and a 40GB hard drive?

Anyway, I digress...

Since it doesn't look to be an ancient processor, you might have some luck with either the Asus P4C800E Deluxe or the Abit Fatality series that is made for that processor. This assumes that you're running one of the processors that runs with an 800MHz FSB; if you don't have one of these in your box then you'll find overclocking to have mixed results.

As I mentioned above, you'll likely have to purchase a power supply as well as the motherboard, not to mention you'll want to maybe grab a standard ATX mainboard from a friend and make sure that it will mount properly in your case. I haven't heard that Dell uses an off-sized board, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

For future considerations I would quadruple the memory to 1GB (preferably 2x512MB modules to be run in dual channel mode), get a larger and faster hard drive, and probably look into a better graphics board. Given that you're into overclocking, this generally means that gaming has a role with your computer.

As to the integrated sound, I believe that both of the boards I mentioned above have this as well and should be fine unless you're an audiophile. Inbred sound used to mean poor quality, but this has been fixed for a couple of years now. Most of the mainboards being sold today have very good onboard sound.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thanks you were a great help.
    #1 rig......................#2 rig .......................................
    p4 2.8 with ht ..........p4 1.8
    40 gig hard drive.....20 gig hard drive
    256mb of ram...........128mb of ram
    DVD ROM drive.......CD-R drive
    128mb X300 SE........32mb geforce 2
    dell m-board..............gateway motherboard
    no floppy....................floppy

are considering, anything with the 1.8, you might be able to do som OCing on that as well, and without additional purchase, i remember gateways that didn't hace locks in the bios, you could give that a boost too

Thread Information