Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: To RMA or not to RMA.....

Default To RMA or not to RMA.....

Ok, I got an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum edition last november, and while the performance and ability to overclock have certainly exceeded my expectations, there is a problem that I can't seem to get around. I have always setup my PC's to have 2 hard drives in them, the first for the OS and Programs and the second to house the files that you don't want to disappear when you need to reload a clean install of windows. Well, this motherboard for some reason or another will not allow me to use 2 hard drives at once. I have installed the IDE drives on channel 1 with slave/master settings, cable select etc with no luck. I would move one to ide2, still no luck... Even bought a new serial ATA drive, and while it will slowly make it through the bios, when it starts going into the win XP load screen, things come to a complete halt. Only fix, remove the second drive. So, is this a problem specific to this "one" board, or is it a possible problem for all of these boards? I would hate to send the board off for an RMA and be out of my computer for 2-3 weeks just to get another one back that has the same problem. Any thoughts?
    Just1tree

"I feel the need....the need for speed!"

Default Re: To RMA or not to RMA.....

Quote Originally Posted by just1tree
    Ok, I got an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum edition last november, and while the performance and ability to overclock have certainly exceeded my expectations, there is a problem that I can't seem to get around. I have always setup my PC's to have 2 hard drives in them, the first for the OS and Programs and the second to house the files that you don't want to disappear when you need to reload a clean install of windows. Well, this motherboard for some reason or another will not allow me to use 2 hard drives at once. I have installed the IDE drives on channel 1 with slave/master settings, cable select etc with no luck. I would move one to ide2, still no luck... Even bought a new serial ATA drive, and while it will slowly make it through the bios, when it starts going into the win XP load screen, things come to a complete halt. Only fix, remove the second drive. So, is this a problem specific to this "one" board, or is it a possible problem for all of these boards? I would hate to send the board off for an RMA and be out of my computer for 2-3 weeks just to get another one back that has the same problem. Any thoughts?
    Heres where I'd start...............................

There might be a bios update for that board to fix an issue just as you are having, so make sure its up to date.
    I'd also try d-loading a utility disk from the manufacture's website of the harddrives to test them to see if they check out good.
    Just incase, check your data cable to see if thats good aslo. Maybe one end of the harness is damaged.

Well, I followed your advice and downloaded a copy of maxblast and pwrmax from maxtors website and created bootable CD's. The MAXBLAST would hang during the initialization, but the PWRMAX was able to run. Upon initial testing it seemed that the hard drive was ok, but upon low level formatting I got a "drive is failing error". So it seems as though the IDE hard drive (which was working fine 3 weeks ago) is going bad. However, there is one other peculiar thing about this motherboard that I can't understand. Everytime that I reboot, the system hangs on detecting drives (with only one SATA Hard Drive in). But if I shut down, and turn it back on it boots ok. Any ideas there?
    Just1tree

"I feel the need....the need for speed!"

Quote Originally Posted by just1tree
    Well, I followed your advice and downloaded a copy of maxblast and pwrmax from maxtors website and created bootable CD's. The MAXBLAST would hang during the initialization, but the PWRMAX was able to run. Upon initial testing it seemed that the hard drive was ok, but upon low level formatting I got a "drive is failing error". So it seems as though the IDE hard drive (which was working fine 3 weeks ago) is going bad. However, there is one other peculiar thing about this motherboard that I can't understand. Everytime that I reboot, the system hangs on detecting drives (with only one SATA Hard Drive in). But if I shut down, and turn it back on it boots ok. Any ideas there?

Sorry to hear about your IDE drive:(, I hope warranty covers it. Call Maxtor, their tech support was very helpfull the last time I dealt with them. Too bad you don't have another sata drive to test in the system so you can easily tell forsure if that drive is causing problems also. A few questions come to mind...... Are all your bios settings correct? Did you update the bios? Are you using the latest and the right drive controller drivers? Did you test the Sata drive with the manufactures utility disk? From my expereince, usually when a system hangs when its detecting a drive is a cause of the drive itself but that doesn't mean I've covered all the ground there either.

A few things you should always keep in mind when handling hard drives is to never move them when they are in operation and never at any time have them tilted back when they are operating, it can easily damage them. I hope this isn't what is happenenig to you but I thought I might mention it incase you are killing your drives doing this.

Thread Information