Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Compaq

Default Compaq

Hello

I am going to redo my moms computer it is a Compaq Persario 4LCXE1. It has a restoe disk, but It does not have a XP code. Is it susspose to? Also the video card is on board it is Intel Solano i815E and with a Intel 82815 graphics controller. I am trying to find out what the size of the video card. Is there away to find out what size it is and how i go about disabling it so I can put a new one in the AGP slot. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

Default Re: Compaq

XP Code - There should be a sticker on the side or back of the case of the Compaq machine with the activation code on it. This serves as the license for most OEM machines being made that come with WinXP.

Video - Inbred video adapters generally use what is referred to as "shared memory"; or system memory that is designated to be used for the graphics adapter. This memory is not available for normal system usage and is incredibly slow as far as video cards go. To change the amount of shared memory, you need to enter the BIOS and see what options you have. If you're wanting to update to a normal video card, then you would go into BIOS and disable the onboard graphics and set the system to look for the graphics adapter from the AGP port first (assuming the motherboard actually has an AGP slot and not just using an onboard AGP bus with the inbred video).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Video - Inbred video adapters
    That's a term I've never heard in reference to onboard video... Did you mean onboard, or is onboard video referred to as inbred for some reason?

Also, there are lots of onboard video chips that don't use system memory. I'm not sure about that particular one, but most of the Intel and nVidia onboard video I've worked with have their own memory, usually 32MB or 64MB.

Inbred video chip mobos can only be found in Mississippi. ;)

I've been using the term "inbred" for both onboard video and sound for quite some time now. As the name implies, it is less than what one would normally expect from a class of component... and I need not go into the other half of the details I think.

Yawg, look at the chipset mentioned. All of the older machines we have at work that use the i815E chipst with inbred (or onboard if you prefer) have shared graphics memory. It is possible that we bought our low-bid systems and they have less than comparable i815 systems, but from my experience they use a shared graphics memory that lowers the amount of usable system memory as it allocates it to the video adapter.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Like I said, I'm not sure about that particular chipset. I just now that I have five OEM systems in my house which (unsurprisingly) all use Intel boards, and they all have their own RAM IIRC. I'll take your word on the i815, though, because I don't think any of them have that particular chipset.

Thread Information