Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little Help Please...

Default Re: A Little Help Please...

You seem to be confusing CAD in general with 3D Rendering. For a simple 2D CAD application, a powerful video card does nothing. However, I'm pretty sure several of the applications he listed are in fact 3D rendering applications, which will use expensive video cards.

The real question is whether you value gaming performance or 3D rendering performance more. There are a number of cards at multiple price ranges specifically designed for 3D rendering programs that will give playable, but relatively bad gaming performance. On the other hand, normal cards will give good gaming performance but won't give the greatest 3D rendering performance.

Before we jump ahead to video cards I have a few more questions on the mobo memory.

According to MSI, their memory specs for the K8N Neo4 Platinum (under the DIMM Module Combination section) indicate if filling all 4 slots with double sided DIMMs use DDR 333, only use DDR 400 for single sided.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/...atinum&class=mb

Even if all the slots with are filled with 1GB DIMMS you never reach 4GB anyway:

• Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+ GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module
    What now?
    "The Factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment."

Basically, this means that the total may come up a little short of a full 4GB. but you would have most likely 3.9-3.95GB. That is truely an amazing amount of memory that you almost certainly nedver need, even for CAD. 2 fast 1GB sticks of memory would be hard to use up. And the current CPUs (AMD 64 Venice, San Diego, the X2, the Opteron) will all run 4 sticks of memory at DDR 400 speeds, albeit at 2T. The diference between 1T and 2T can hardly be felt by 90% of the computer users out there. Even when benchmarking, there is maybe a 5-10% performance loss. This is almost meaningless in real world numbers, and it would be truely meaningless when doing CAD work. If you really want 4GB of ram and cannot live with these limitations, the new DFI boards can not only run the full 4GB of ram, but at 1T as well. Plus, there is a new ATI based chipset due out next year that not only can run the memory full speed, but will break all barriers of overclocking an AMD CPU.

All that being said, I have one question. Why would you want to run 4GB of ram anyways? If you are more interested in a pure CAD computer, you should maybe consider building a workstation type PC instead of a mainstream PC. It would cost probably double, but the power you would have for advanced 3D CAD would be worth it. Are you a 3D designer? Just how much power do you need? It would help to know that for any future recommendations.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter

All that being said, I have one question. Why would you want to run 4GB of ram anyways? If you are more interested in a pure CAD computer, you should maybe consider building a workstation type PC instead of a mainstream PC. It would cost probably double, but the power you would have for advanced 3D CAD would be worth it. Are you a 3D designer? Just how much power do you need? It would help to know that for any future recommendations.
    I come from the "Home Improvement" school of "MORE POWER"
    Besides, haven't you heard, Windows Vista has a minimum requirement of 2GB!

Obviously I'm just kidding, but I want to make sure I don't end up with 4 sticks of 512mb and regret later that I should have gone with 2 - 1GB sticks.

How about info on double sided vs. single? Any performance gains/loss with either?

Thanks
    "The Factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment."

It's best to use 2x1GB sticks in situations in which 2GB or more RAM is required. Most Athlon 64 CPUs and boards will get significant (bus as Casecutter said, probably unoticable) performance loss from four dual-sided DIMMs, as well as the inability to upgrade beyond two GBs (although that won't even be useful for quite some time anyway). It's definitely best to get two 1GB sticks. I really can't see any reason to get four 512MB sticks.

Thanks for the suggestion Yawgm0th,

Spoke with MSI and OCZ today and asked a few more questions. Based on your input and their answers I've decided to go with...

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum
    2GB Dual Channel Kit PN - OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel_platinum

BTW Casecutter, you were right OCZ does have great customer service. Spoke with their CSR for almost a half hour today about my rig and confirmed what you guys have been saying. He also suggested I go with their OCZ520ADJSLI - 520W SLI Ready P/S, looks pretty good to me.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply-sli_ready_

Guess we need to start posting in the video section next?

Looks good. That's as much RAM as you need and it performs pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information