Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: trying to find good gaming board

Question trying to find good gaming board

hey!

im trying to find a good gaming board, $100 - $200au. it will be used for gaming.

the specs so far.

AMD Athlon 3700+
    250gig Sata, 200gig 3.5 IDE, 80gig 3.5 IDE
    ASUS Nvidia N6600 256meg
    dual CORSAIR 512mb (1gig), 512mb
    1x dvd-rw, 1x cd-rw, 1x floppy
    2 PCI cards
    my screen has a RGB output, but may be getting new 1 later.

the ASUS A8N E NVIDIA nForce4 seems fine, what do u think about it.

the shop i will be buying from - Gamedude

Thx

Exclamation Re: trying to find good gaming board

I maybe new, i may not be a monitor. But, I think you should have posted all your questions in the "What Should I Buy" board.

Default Re: trying to find good gaming board

If gaming is the system's main purpose, you'd be best if you downgraded in some areas and got a better video card.

If you're going to overclock, you'll probably be best off with DFI. I recommend DFI either way, but there's no reason not to go with an ASUS board if you don't intend to overclock. If you do overclock, my last paragraph applies even more, as you will be able to save a lot on the processor and get a much better video card with the saved money.

On the other hand, I'd have to recommend a dual-core processor unless the system will be used strictly for gaming only. I'd also strongly recommend getting dual 1GB sticks of RAM if you're going to be playing Battlefield 2. They make them with low latencies, so anything but extreme RAM overclocking sees no performance decrease from 1GB sticks.

Also, it makes no major difference if this is in "Motherboards" or "What Should I Buy?". In this case, both apply.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-10-2005 at 01:29 AM.

k... 1st of all... i dont know what EXACTLY overclocking is or how to do it. and i have no idea about the low latencey ram.

u said " you'd be best if you downgraded in sme areas and got a beter video card." ..... well, most of the stuff there is carried over from my old computer.

list of things i am planning to buy. the rest from above is from my old computer.

AMD Athlon 3700+
    250gig Sata
    ASUS Nvidia N6600 256meg
    dual CORSAIR 512mb (1gig)

gaming is probly the main, but i also burn alot of dvds.

also, what is DFI and ive also seen SLi boards... (are they related, and whats the deal?)

and will both 3.5 IDE and SATA(II) work on the same board?

www.gamedude.com.au

Thx again

Overclocking is the act of making your computer (specifically, the processor, RAM, and/or video card) run faster than it would normally. If you don't even know what it is, I'd say it's best not to worry about it, for now.

I'd say the processor could be weakened in favor of a stronger video card, but then I think it would make just as much sense to get a dual-core processor, which will only be more expensive. If you can simply give yourself a higher budget so you can do both or at least one, go for it. You can also get cheaper RAM in favor of a dual-core processor or a better video card. If gaming is really the main purpose of the system, though, I think you'd be best off upgrading the video card. A 6800GT would probably be best.

DFI is a brand of motherboards. When it comes to Athlon 64s, it's pretty much the best brand.

Yes, both IDE and SATA will work on the same board.

i think ill forget about the 250gig HDD and go for the 3800+ X2. and juz keep the same graphics card.

I couldnt find DFI boards anywhere, the only brands are, Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, asrock, foxconn, EPOX, jetway and Albatron.

Well your sources must be pretty limited, but I'm sure you'll be fine with an ASUS board.

Thread Information