Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did I break it?

Sounds like you have a flimsy PSU

best to get those fans off the mobo connectors to start with...

how about you post the FULL specs of the system you are building?
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Ok, here is what I have so far installed. epox 8kha+, ddr 2100 crucial memory(256M), Pine mx400 nvidia video, Duron 1000M(until I can afford more), 20 G Westerm digital, and a 52x creative labs cdrom. Oh yeah, and a 350W generic psu.
    I really think that the fans are trash. I just wasted good money on enermax fans. It wont happen again.
    Another thing, I am not impressed with ball bearing fans either. They may last a little longer but they tend to cost a little more and they are much louder then the sleaved fans. So, bottom line is dont buy gimicky fans, stick with the cheap, quiter, and slightly less durable sleaved fans.
    Anyway, Just my opinion.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

That's partly true...I have a delta 38 on my CPU...OMG don't even begin to ask...this thing literally sounds like a hair dryer on the low setting...NO JOKE.....but I have a bunch of fans surrounding it so it kind of get's muffled but still loud...I got used to it however...anyway...your partly right about the ball bearing vs sleeve, I'd rather pay an extra buck or two to get higher quality and have my fan still spinning while I'm trying to sleep instead of waking up the next morning with a dead CPU you know what I mean? How much of a price difference is it anyway? I've seen HSF's for my old K6/2 that were ball bearing for like a dollar and I've seen athlon/duron heatsinks for like 8 dollars volcano 2? heh well that's ball bearing I think...

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT

best to get those fans off the mobo connectors to start with...
    This is very important. I can tell you from experience that using the fan headers for fans that draw any kind of real current will screw the board up... even before it burns out the headers. The problems that I started seeing first was that I would get errors when trying to use my DVD and CDRW. Even with plain cds or music cd, I would get the BSOD EVERYTIME before I finally killed the headers. I thought that they were just crap, but when I realized what I done I replaced the MB. After that everything was fine and no more BSOD. I am still using the same DVD and CDRW today.

JM:afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Ok, I took your advice and removed the fans. I got problems though. When I originally added the fans I also added a cdrom. I dont know whether the fans or the adding of the cdrom caused my issue but here is the problem. It takes 3 minutes to post to my bios. Also when I look I see that the primary ide of my 2nd ide is the cdrom(master). However the comp dumped my hard drive and says that my 1st Ide primary is none. nothing will make it see my hard drive. If I remove the cdrom and add my hard drive as master and the cdrom as slave on the same Ide they show up together as hard drive primary master and cdrom secondary slave. This is good but my comp loses the hard drive anytime I plug the cdrom into the 2nd ide, regardless of configuration.
    I guess this is not a problem but if I add a cd/rw or something I will need that other Ide port working. Could simply be operator error though.
    Another thing who decided the standard length of ide cables anyway. The guy should be shot for making the cables so short. My comp building will be on hold until I can find a cable longer than the standard 18inches.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

with regards the the IDE cable thing i believe that they are 18" due to signal loss if the cable is much longer, well somethin along those lines. I may just be gettin confused though...

just start from the obvious...did you recheck the jumper settings on your cd-rom and hard drive? I had a hard drive that had a "single" setting for when it was on a IDE by itself without a slave. I had it set to master just rushing and it gave me the same symptoms as described.

Partly correct there Shepps.
    I think about 30 inches is the max for the length on an IDE before you start to get data "fuzzing".
    Potatoe2 you should be able to get both 24 and 30 inch length IDE cables.

It was my experience 1 time with a Western Digital HDD that it would only be recognized if I had the jumpers configured to "only drive on channel".
    Don't know what was up with that? But it functioned perfectly as a Primary Master once it was configured to Only Drive.
    My WD 200BB doesn't currently have that problem - but maybe you could try it and see if it works for you.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

best trick would be to set all the ide's in the bios to auto and set the "reset configuration data" to enabled, or whatever your auto resources reset setting is...

then reboot and see how you go, again, i'd also say try lookin at your jumper settings, u may have the setting at something like cable select...and your drive mite think its slave or somefin...
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information