Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 S939

Default Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 S939

i have decided that when the time comes (soon), i will buy an opteron 1-series. the other main question, though, is which motherboard. the asrock got a good reveiw,and it seems to have everything i need,such as sata2, pci-e and agp slots ( i need the agp so i dont need to upgrade my graphicscard imediately) as well as that, it costs under 50. see the full spec Here.
    is this a good idea?
    opinions would be apprciated. thanks

Default Re: Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 S939

While the board seems to be stable overall and has a pretty good feature list, if you're buying the Opteron processor for its good overclockability, you will be disappointed with the ASRock. It is exactly what it portrays; a budget motherboard. It lacks many options you will find on good enthusiast boards and the voltage settings are a joke.

So if you're looking for a motherboard that helps you upgrade in the future and don't plan on running your processor to its limits, then it should be an excellent buy. If you are looking for something more in tune to the potential of the processor you're looking at, however, you would be better served looking at something else.

Its really a shame that ULi chipset wasn't picked up by some of the Tier 1 manufacturers in their primary product line. Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with this little wonder-chip.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Nvidia has purchased ULi and we should start seeing something being done with this chipset soon, at least I hope.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

The ASRock can be just fine for overclocking, but it takes some messing around with. Although you won't reach the Opteron's full potential, those things are better for overclocking than other CPUs at any voltage (you'll see why this is significant in a minute).

The board has two main inferiorities to your average nF4 board: It has next to no voltage controls and lacks a couple of features expected in modern boards (1394, GbE, how-swapable SATA), even budget ones. The voltage control is where the overclocking problem comes in. Even that Opteron will only get a mild overclock with the standard voltage controls. However, there's an easy-to-do (I just did one myself last week) VCORE mod that lets you force the board to put more juice into the CPU and overclock it. While it is still limited in comparison to nF3 and nF4 boards, it will get all but the most extreme overclocking. I have an XP-90 and a Panaflo 92mm L1A and heat is a bigger problem than voltage for me and my 3000 Venice.

Basically, it's like Darth said. You can't quite push the CPU to its limits, but with the VCORE mod, you'll get close enough that I doubt you'll be complaining.

There are a couple of issues I had with the board. It has a pretty bad layout and some major cold boot issues, but they aren't show-stoppers IMO. If there were another board that supported AGP and PCI-E, they might be. But there isn't, so it's irrelevent.

One other thing worth mentioning is that this board isn't just good for eventual upgrading of the video card; it will theoretically allow for a new CPU. Although it's not a promised feature, the board is equipped with a slot for a Socket AM2 riser card. No such card has been seen to my knowledge, and there's the issue of DDR2, but in theory you will be able to upgrade both your CPU and video card for another two to three years, depending on when AMD changes sockets.

Cool. thanks guys. one thing - What expected clock speeds?
    i mean, with an opteron 144, would i be able to clock from 1.8 ghz to around 2.6ghz, with that VCORE mod?

Most people are pushing that high with stock voltage, but you may need more. It is entirely dependant on your CPU. There is almost no way to tell a guaranteed overclock. I would expect it, but I would not guarantee it.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Agreed. I'd expect 2.6-2.7GHz with the Opteron, but I can't guarantee you anything.

hey - finally splashed out on an opteron, and this mobo.
    heres hoping....

Let us know the results.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thumbs down Re: Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 S939

no luck. the first supplier i ordered from went out of stock, and it took a week to get the money back. now i cant find any on any mainstream retailers sites and the ones on ebay didnt look like they were worth the 50 premium. i went the easy way and ordered an athlon 64 3200 last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information