Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dell Front Panel Connector

Default Dell Front Panel Connector

I've got an older mobo from a Dell Optiplex, I don't have the case for it though, and thus don't have a front panel connector.

It's a 33 pin connector, and I know what two pins are the power pins, I've put a jumper on them, and My optical mouse will light up, the monitor LED flashes green, and that's it.

I've taken an old two pin reset switch, and put it on the two pins, and clicking the button gives the same result as the jumper.

How can i get this to boot, without that connector?
    I called Dell, and obviously i couldn't get much.

Default Re: Dell Front Panel Connector

just buy a new case for 75 dollars which will be alot better than any dell case. get it from www.newegg.com

I would still need the Dell specific, front panel connector. It's not standard.

I thought i'd be able to just put a simple on/off switch on the two power pins, maybe I'm missing something?

Nobody has anything?
    I thought you guys knew your shiz over here in TweakTown?

5. Default Re: Dell Front Panel Connector

Well, I think your mobo is fried. I've had mobos that were fried just start the fans, light up the keyboard, use the cd drive, and turn on the mouse. Nothing else would move after that. The manufacturer replaced the mobo and everything works.

As for Dell, I've got a Dim 2400, so I know what you mean. Dell makes it hard to switch mobos and upgrade video cards. Your best bet would just be to get a new mobo and psu. Besides, a stock Dell mobo is not good. For example, my 2400 came with a foxconn that doesn't even have an agp or pci-e slot.

What processor do you have? What size is the case? I think it might be an atx size. Figuring that out will help in choosing a mobo.

If your computer is old, Dell can't help. They will charge you for help if your waranty has expired.

Hey, I appreciate the feedback.
    But I'm not worried about getting a new motherboard, or anything like that.
    I just had this laying around and wanted to see if I could get it to boot, I've got 3 other desktops, and 2 notebooks, so by no means do I need another one.

I am pretty much in the same boat with my DELL Dimension Model 4550.

My motherboard got fried up so I went around and bought ASUS P4P800 VM - Motherboard to use the Intel processor of 2.0 GHz.

I got the motherboard.
    When I connected the Motherboard to the power supply it will just stay dead with Standby LED on the board lighted up. That's it.

The ASUS Board does not take 33 pin Front Panel Connector from the front panel to which the Power Switch is attached.

As PorscheGuy said. DELL MAKES IT HARD TO SWITCH MOTHERBOARD and UPGRADE.

I am planning to return this motherboard and try to get the motherboard from DELL itself.

www.impactcomputers.com.. These guys have compatible motherboard for DELL Computers.

Try that....

Quote Originally Posted by phunka
    Hey, I appreciate the feedback.
    But I'm not worried about getting a new motherboard, or anything like that.
    I just had this laying around and wanted to see if I could get it to boot, I've got 3 other desktops, and 2 notebooks, so by no means do I need another one.
    if you know which pins are which, just touch the power pins together with a screwdriver. risky, but hey, i do it all the time.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

If you're trying to boot that Dell mainboard I hope that you're using a Dell PSU as Dell do not use standard wiring configuration for 98% of their mainboard power plugs and a standard PSU is wired differently.

Thread Information