Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Anyone firmiliar with the old Iso Bus??

Default Anyone firmiliar with the old Iso Bus??

Ok, heres the thing. I am working for a company doing engineering drafting currently using a program called pointline. Pointline is like AutoCAD but ancient (running on Windows 95 100 mGz computers) If you at all firmiliar with drafting you should know AutoCAD. Anyways, the company tried making a switch to AutoCAD and we built 5 new computers fully loaded with XP Pro, Office, AutoCAD 2004, P4 2.0gHz you know....the works, and a server running Windows Server 2003. The only thing is that later the bosses changed their mind about switching to AutoCAD and they want to stick with Pointline. So we figured we can use those new computers to at least upgrade our slow, slow, slow Pointline system (uses a regular computer as a server, no actual server computer).

Now my task is to install Pointline, which is a DOS based program, onto those computers which i found a way to do. The only problem is, pointline runs through a card hooked up to the computer, this card is from the old ISO Bus, not PCI.

Does anyone know if they see PCI to ISO conversion cards????
    or something similar to that that would get the job done?
    CPU -
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    GPU -
    EVGA 8600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black SATA Combo Drive,
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner
    H
    ard Drives -
    (2) Samsung
    HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Default Re: Anyone firmiliar with the old Iso Bus??

You might check your local comp shop, mine has all that wierd stuff,(if it exists) dont go to the mainstream places though.

I believe that what you seek is, in fact, a pci to isa (not iso) adapter. After a bit of google searching I don't know if you are going to have much luck. If such creatures exist they may be a bit elusive. Your bosses may have to embrace the programs of the current decade. If they actually bought AutoCAD in addition to the new PCs they already have a lot invested .... it may be time to go foreward even if it involves a serious learning curve.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I was bored and did a bit more research. Turns out that what you are trying to do may be possible with a USB to ISA adapter : http://www.arstech.com/item-USB-2-0-...usb2isax3.html . If I were you I think I'd be e-mailing these guys with a lot of questions before the purchase but it does look to me like a viable option. The other problem I see is trying to find drivers for the old ISA card. What little info that I have found usually says that your card may need to be Plug and Play in order for Windows XP to recognize it.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    I was bored and did a bit more research. Turns out that what you are trying to do may be possible with a USB to ISA adapter : http://www.arstech.com/item-USB-2-0-...usb2isax3.html . If I were you I think I'd be e-mailing these guys with a lot of questions before the purchase but it does look to me like a viable option. The other problem I see is trying to find drivers for the old ISA card. What little info that I have found usually says that your card may need to be Plug and Play in order for Windows XP to recognize it.
    Nice find!, it looks like this IS what you need. But ISA should be compatible with XP as they still sell MBs with ISA slots(I just got one for a 98 rig for my older games). The manufacturer of the card should have updated drivers for XP, if not, you can try to manually install the cards using the drivers you have.

But looking at the prices for both the adaptors and the powersupplies, it might be cheaper if you just swapped out to motherboards that have ISA slots. Either way, you should order enough hardware for one system to see if it will work before spending the ~1k+ for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    But ISA should be compatible with XP as they still sell MBs with ISA slots(I just got one for a 98 rig for my older games).
    While XP was being developed M$ had already decided to drop support for all ISA devices so unless you use that USB/ISA adaptor you'll never get an ISA device to work with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    they still sell MBs with ISA slots
    You're logic doesn't quite work here. They still sell a lot of things, but that doens't mean any of it's forward compatable by eight or so years. Boards with ISA slots haven't been made for about a decade, and Windows XP isn't even half a decade old.

Regardless, ISA will not work properly with XP and the USB to ISA driver should be necessary. Granted, it's pretty ridiculous that they're opting to use the older software, but to each his own I suppose.

What about the windows compatibility mode? I think it would still run the program. And GREAT find by the way on that card. The card claims to have 100% universal software.
    CPU -
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz
    Mobo -
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    Memory -
    OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    GPU -
    EVGA 8600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
    Optical Drives -
    LITE-ON Black SATA Combo Drive,
    LITE-ON Black
    SATA DVD Burner
    H
    ard Drives -
    (2) Samsung
    HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

what size is that slot? if its the one im thinking of, its like a massive pci slot. i had a creative soundblaster awe64 gold in one of those and it worked fine with XP
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Default Re: Anyone firmiliar with the old ISA Bus??

How about contacting Pointline for support? http://www.pointline.com/EN/default.asp

Maybe they have either a newer version of their software which runs on XP? They had a version for Windows NT4.0 awhile back, so XP is possible or perhaps they have a paralell port/USB dongle which works with the older software?

Thread Information