Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BIOS – How modify Auto Detect of Hard Drives positioning?

Default BIOS – How modify Auto Detect of Hard Drives positioning?

BIOS – How modify Auto Detect of Hard Drives positioning?

Building new PC (first time). ASUS A8S-X 939 mobo – BIOS v.0501 (latest); AMD 64 CPU.
    Fired her up with a new Primary IDE Master H/D (C Drive)and a Primary IDE Slave H/D (D Drive) from my old PC (with backup files on it). After transferring files I replaced the old D Drive with a new HITACHI Deskstar SATA drive (no jumpers). The BIOS Auto Detect placed the new SATA drive at the “Fourth Master” location and had the Primary Slave slot I.D'd as “Not Detected.”

Can I, and if so, how can I reconfigure the BIOS to show the new SATA drive as the Primary Slave. The new SATA is recognized in the Device Manager (WinXP SP-2) but does not show up in “My Computer”.
    Bob (RAGs) in Colorado.

Default Re: BIOS – How modify Auto Detect of Hard Drives positioning?

As far as I know, the position of the SATA drive does not matter. BUT... when you first install a new drive, Windows cannot give it a drive letter because there is no valid partition on the drive.

Right click "My Computer" and choose "MANAGE". From there, go to Disk Management and it should show your new SATA hard drive. Partition it in whatever manner makes you happy and then Windows will assign drive letter(s) as appropriate.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Arggg! WinXP 101. Thanks a ton and I apologize for a "Senior Moment".

No problems. I'm always glad to have one of these problems than a true hardware issue that ends up costing me money!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by RAGs
    BIOS – How modify Auto Detect of Hard Drives positioning?

Building new PC (first time). ASUS A8S-X 939 mobo – BIOS v.0501 (latest); AMD 64 CPU.
    Fired her up with a new Primary IDE Master H/D (C Drive)and a Primary IDE Slave H/D (D Drive) from my old PC (with backup files on it). After transferring files I replaced the old D Drive with a new HITACHI Deskstar SATA drive (no jumpers). The BIOS Auto Detect placed the new SATA drive at the “Fourth Master” location and had the Primary Slave slot I.D'd as “Not Detected.”

Can I, and if so, how can I reconfigure the BIOS to show the new SATA drive as the Primary Slave. The new SATA is recognized in the Device Manager (WinXP SP-2) but does not show up in “My Computer”.
    Bob (RAGs) in Colorado.
    hi i have an asus p5w dh deluxe mobo and on mine i went into the bios
    and theres is on mine a tab called boot

click on and u will see hard disc drives click again and swap the drives around then click on disc priority and change them over im not sayin gur bios will be the same as mine but it might best of luck

Thread Information