Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel D955XCS

Talking Intel D955XCS

I know that Intel said that 945 and 955 chipsets don't support C2D CPUs, but there are boards with 945 chipset that DO support C2D. My question is: Is Intel D955XCS board capable to acomodate e4xxx/e6xxx CPUs?

Maybe this is a good idea for the review; have some BTX boards and see what can they do, check compatibility and stuff. I'm positive that there are people interested in BTX standard (much less noise!!!), and there are not enough reviews on the net to help them choose (well, there isn't much to chose from, but still...)

Thanx in advance.
    I feel like I should have a great idea right now. But I don't.....

I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a doctor about it, but I didn't really care.....

On a child's Superman costume: Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.....

Poster above a urinal: Please stay closer as your little Johnny is not as big as you think....

Default Re: Intel D955XCS

According to Intel's spec's page for that mainboard it will only support P4 based CPU's.

Talking Re: Intel D955XCS

I have seen that, but they said that 945 and 955 don't support C2D as well. As we can all see, the only thing that needs to be modified is PWM of the boards. Maybe there is a slightest chance, there is a good foundation in the chipset

I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a doctor about it, but I didn't really care.....

On a child's Superman costume: Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.....

Poster above a urinal: Please stay closer as your little Johnny is not as big as you think....

Go by what your mainboard manufacturer tells you (yes there are 945i based mainboards that will support C2D's, I havn't heard of any 955i though, but their manufacturers have had to change certain things, mainly voltage spec's & BIOS, to get C2D support) and with Intel what they say is exactly what you get.

Talking Re: Intel D955XCS

Maybe you are right. I am going to buy a new C2D system, and i was considering BTX form factor, mainly because of the noise (I'm allergic to noise). High performance and good upgrade options are a must and this seems to be the only motherboard that offers that (full BTX format with everything else). Guess I will have to do it the old fashion way with good old Zalman CNPS coolers...
    I was really looking forward to be the first person around here where I live with a BTX system.

Just in case you havn't heard, but BTX seems to be about dead with even Intel cutting down production on their own BTX mainboard to Pico & Micro models only and these could likely go to once all P4 based heaters are gone.

I have heard that but I don't undrestand them. Why bothe to make a new standard and the abandon it in fast forward? Pesonally, I think they are crazy!
    ATX is old and could definitely do with some improvements.
    Is there any kind of hardware tweak that would enable this board to run with C2D on board? Screw the warranty!!!

the 955 doesnt offically support a 1066 fsb so any mother board with this chipset that says it supports a c2d is already overcloking and the chipset limit is reached ;)

Well if it could be done with 945 then it could be done with 955. Both chipsets don't support 1066 fsb, but there are boards with 945 that support C2D. I never wanted to OC the processor, if I wanted to, i wouldn't be considering Intel motherboard. The only question is can PWM section of the above board be modified somehow to comply with VRM11 specs? I think it could be done, I just don't know how:-)

Quote Originally Posted by flexy View Post
    I have heard that but I don't undrestand them. Why bothe to make a new standard and the abandon it in fast forward? Pesonally, I think they are crazy!
    Intel put the standard forward as a way to control the higher spiraling temps the P4 platform was producing but since their change to the cooling running Core platform (and resistance by most other manufacturers to adopt the standard) they've moved back to the ATX standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by flexy
    ATX is old and could definitely do with some improvements.
    Old, yes but the other is just a matter of opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by flexy
    Is there any kind of hardware tweak that would enable this board to run with C2D on board? Screw the warranty!!!
    No as your mainboard cannot even support the 200MHz FSB required for starters (133MHz is its limit) plus the electrical system on it could likely fry C2D as it was meant to feed power hungry P4's.

If you want a C2D setup then go and buy a mainboard based on the 965 or 975 chipsets to go with it (I prefer and use ASUS mainboards myself).

Thread Information