Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Epox 8RDA3I power issue?

Default Epox 8RDA3I power issue?

I upgraded the video card in my system to a 7600GS. Had some problems getting it powered initially because I forgot about the 4 pin connector. Anyway after taking a closer look at the spec sheet, I find that they recommend a 400W PSU. I was running a 330W psu. After rechecking connections. I get everything running again and the pop up that tell me the card is underpowered is no more. I check my voltages with SiSoft Sandra to see how bad I am straining the system. Well, my 3.3V rail is showing 2.73-2.75V (same voltage reading I get from bios). My first thought is of doom and gloom. Out of curiosity I put my old video card back in and still get 2.75V. So I am thinking that the PSU is on its last leg. Old psu was 5.5+ years old, so I get a new 430W psu. Didn't bother with anything bigger since next pc is gonna be a complete new build. Anyway, so I install new psu with no issues and check voltage and get 2.75. I am thinking that it is unlikely that I got a new psu with the same bad rail as my old one. So I am wondering if the mb is gimped. I don't know how long it may have been this way, since I don't remember the last time I thought to check the voltage. Everything seems to run fine right now, but I am wondering if I should expect mb issues soon or is there something else I should be looking at.

Thanks,
    JM
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Default Re: Epox 8RDA3I power issue?

I wouldn't worry too much about it if the system is stable. A motherboard will get the voltage readings by onboard monitoring chips that are not known for their incredible accuracy. If you are that concerned about the voltage levels, get yourself a multimeter and check the output at the connections leading from the power supply.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Epox 8RDA3I power issue?

I didn't think of the monitoring chip. Like I said everything is fine right now and I have no idea how long it has been reading that way. I may borrow a meter and check it later. The system was OC'd for the last couple years with no issues until the power sucking video card came along. I put it back to stock when I realized I may not have enough power with new card. I will probably try to OC again to see if I can replicate old results. For now, I guess I won't worry too much. Thanks for the reply.
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Thread Information