Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Your opinion: Gigabyte motherboards




  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose


    What's wrong with it?

    It's simple and effective...
    besides the GA- at the start, the modle naming doesn't mean anything
    e.g:
    A7V333 - that in itself tells you, that its a VIA chipset, the kt333
    GA-5AX - all it tells you is its made by Gigabyte nothing much else

    maybe its just me wanting informative model numbers or something

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Gigabyte aren't the only companies that make up their model names as they wish.

    Sure the ASUS is pretty well named, like the A7V333.

    A= ASUS
    7= K7 (Athlon)
    V = VIA
    333 = chipset

    but Abit also have a structured model naming convention, like the Abit SA6R for example.

    The "S" comes from the first letter of the chipset, the "A" is pulled out of the sky, the "6" is the generation of processor the motherboard is for and the "R" is also pulled out of the sky to make a name which sounds good, basically.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose


    Rather quick judgment on your behalf.....

    So I take it that Gigabyte are the only company that has made a bad mainboard over the years? ;)
    quick? nothing quick about it...

    i been ****ing with this board since day 1, and it has YET to work right :


    go back and read the thread and you'll see what i mean

    i'll never trust another board from them until THIS one works as intended

    gigabyte
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ct_


    quick? nothing quick about it...

    i been ****ing with this board since day 1, and it has YET to work right :


    go back and read the thread and you'll see what i mean

    i'll never trust another board from them until THIS one works as intended

    gigabyte
    It is still a quick judgment...

    It is because you are judging a Mainboard manufacturers quality of overall products on just one of their products...That specific product that you are talking about may be dodgy...but that doesn't reflect on the quality of their other products.

    So by you saying that ALL of Gigabytes mainboards are crap...then yes..that is a quick judgment....
    :devil:
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

    The Elephants are coming!!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose


    It is still a quick judgment...

    It is because you are judging a Mainboard manufacturers quality of overall products on just one of their products...That specific product that you are talking about may be dodgy...but that doesn't reflect on the quality of their other products.
    :devil:
    Spot on Moose my mate.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy


    besides the GA- at the start, the modle naming doesn't mean anything
    e.g:
    A7V333 - that in itself tells you, that its a VIA chipset, the kt333
    GA-5AX - all it tells you is its made by Gigabyte nothing much else

    maybe its just me wanting informative model numbers or something
    So by this you are saying that the average Joe knows what A7V333 Means?

    It doesn't need to have any reference to the set-up of the product at all really, as long as it tells us who made the mainboard...Techs that work with Gigabyte boards get used to the model numbers and the specs of the boards.... once it hits the Market with the end user...they don't need to know all the specs of the chipset and everything to do with the board. It is all jargon to them...all they want is a PC that works...only a fairly small amount of the computer market is aimed at the overclocking market...so really product codes that are related to the specific specs of the mainboard are not really necessary
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

    The Elephants are coming!!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    And again, spot on. :)
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

  8. #28
    Beefy Guest

    Default

    Moose, you're on a roll here.. what else have you got to say? :)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    I was under the impression that it stood for an ALi Aladdin chipset (GA-5AX) in an ATX formfactor. They had the same board in an AT formfactor as I recall, GA-5AA or something like that...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose

    So by this you are saying that the average Joe knows what A7V333 Means?

    It doesn't need to have any reference to the set-up of the product at all really, as long as it tells us who made the mainboard...Techs that work with Gigabyte boards get used to the model numbers and the specs of the boards.... once it hits the Market with the end user...they don't need to know all the specs of the chipset and everything to do with the board. It is all jargon to them...all they want is a PC that works...only a fairly small amount of the computer market is aimed at the overclocking market...so really product codes that are related to the specific specs of the mainboard are not really necessary
    of course the average joe won't know that A7V333 means, to them its just numbers and letters and the same with GA-5AX, but to 'informed' like you and me, know what A7V333 means, its by asus, its for the athlon, has a via chipset, and the chipset is the kt333, GA-5AX on the other hand, the only thing i can get from that is Gigabyte :\

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •