Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Expert Help Required.!!!!

Default Expert Help Required.!!!!

HERE IS MY PROBLEM SO FAR...have just instaled a q6600 go into an asus P5N-32-E SLI PLUS motherboard but cant get it to boot or post i think the bios is an early version ( not sure) i have connected the 8 pin atx power socket with only a 4 pin atx supply .. do i need to update the bios with a celeron cpu for example fitted first or do i need a full 8 pin 12v power supply ? i do get the hard drives to operate along with the cd roms but the speaker does not work nor the bottom case fan connection but the case fan works when connected to a 4 pin molex ... should i buy a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter or purchase a new psu complete with a 8 pin 12v connection? thanks in advance...thomas i forgot to add that the board was seconhand and was running a core2 6700..would i need to clear the cmos? also i have installed 3gb corsair xms800mhz with a 36gb raptor and a bfg 8600gts but a cheap 650 watt..............INSTALLED AN OCZ STEALTH STREAM 600 WATT PSU WITH 8 PIN 12V ATX CONNECTION STILL NOTHING INSTALLED MY SONS D805 CPU , CHANGED THE MEMORY CONFIGERATIONS STILL NO JOY...I TRAWLED SOME OTHER FORUMS AND FOUND THIS ON THE ASUS FORUM ..... 1) You can unplug your power cable from PSU, and turn off PSU by the button/switch.

2) Remove ram chips from their slots, boot up with 1 first, then add the other(s).

3) Just after you push the on button and the screen stays black (but fans are still spinning etc.), push the reboot button and hold down 'insert' on your keyboard. This motherboard has a function to reboot the pc @ stock settings so you do not have to worry about CMOS battery. Hold that Insert button down until you hear you computer POST (normally 5 seconds or so).
    Then go straight to BIOS and configure whatever you need.

Also change the Dimm/Ram voltage in BIOS to 1.9v as when its set to auto, the volts for your ram will be running around 1.7v which is normally less than the operating voltage of your ram.

Oh yes like I said, you must update your BIOS, the newer versions fix quite a few issues!
    HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROCEDURE WORK FOR THEM???? MY KEYBOARD IS CONNECTED TO MY MOBO BY PS2 DONT THING THE POWER GETS THERE SHOULD I CHANGE IT TO A USB PORT? THANKS AGAIN..BTW BOUGHT A SECOND HAND EVGA 650I ULTRA BOARD AND THAT BOOTS NO PROBLEM....

Default Re: Expert Help Required.!!!!

Yes early BIOS versions on that mainboard won't boot with a Q6600 so use an earilier CPU to update it with.

thanks for the reply i installed my sons d805 cpu with the same results ..im very interested in the procedure of holding down the insert button on start up....do you think i need a celeron single core? maybe it dosent like multicores?

The D805 should've worked though you could try a single core P4.

Thread Information