Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed - Gigabyte 7VRXP ... Please ....

Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    This board is a *****, I have had so much trouble getting it to work. Every forum I go to I see problems relating to this particular board. It obviously had faults. I to bought it due to reviews I read on the net, wish I hadnt now.

:rolleyes:

I have built a few systems with this board and they have all worked perfectly...

No trouble what so ever..

And I also know a lot of people in the industry that use this board and they have not had a problem with it...

I actually find the board to be one of the quickest I have used...

Maybe it is the builder of the system that is at fault and not the product :p
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

Yes I'm at a loss too with what ppl are doin' with this board as other than setting the time/date and disabling the onboard RAID controller there was nothing else to do (even though I checked everything to be sure) in the BIOS.
    The only prob I had was being fast enough at the right plase to hit the Delete key to enter BIOS the 1st time (which took me 3 goes to get into as it's the fast).
    I particularly picked this board for its features and because ppl were havin' probs with it (easy enough for me to change the board if necessary) and I don't know what goin' on. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I have a gigabyte ga-7zxe and iv found that the via drivers are a *****.. The last ones I installed with xp where the 2.78s and they slowed boot up to a stand still then the sound went crackly so no more via drivers for me..I dont know about the boards u guys have but mine seems fine..Also 23.11 drivers seem to be the most beneficial

Also look for a program called CTSPD it tests ur current memory and tells u what latency u can run it at..2 or 3 it access's a small 8 bit rom on the side of ur ram(me thinks)

heres the url for that ctspd .. http://www.gamingin3d.com/articles/ram/index1.html
    Amd Xp palimino 1700+ @ 1.53ghz
    Gf Triplex Ti4200 @ 300c & 600m
    Soltek Golden Flame SL75FRN2-RL
    256mb DDR Kingmax 400mhz @ 5 - 2 - 2 - 2
    Diamond Maxtor 40gb D740X Ultra DMA133
    400w PS

I use Memtest86 for that purpose myself as well as diagnostics and I wound up in that 3 times before timin' it right to get into BIOS (I always have the Memtest floppy in first to test the memory and caches for errors before fdisk'n the HDD) and it ran with no probs at all before I found that the BIOS had selected fairly aggressive timings. I'll let ya's know in a week how it goes when I start crankin' this thing up. :smokin:

I find this Motherboard to be less user friendly than my Previous Abit KT7-RIAD. One thing I really become to hate is the manual.

Example:

S.M.A.R.T. for Hard Disks
    >> Enabled ---Enable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
    >> Disabled ---Disable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capabilty

:shoot3: :hammer: :

I know what Enable and Disable means!! But I don't have a clue what SMART does. Very irritating manual!!

Also I can't figure out if it's possible to connect a CD-Rom player at IDE 3 and 4.

I've just bought this mb last week, and it's isn't up and running yet.

Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology or SMART is something that I don't remember being explained in any motherboard manual. SMART is the hard drive's integrated controller working with various sensors to monitor various aspects of the drive's performance and determines from this information if the drive is behaving normally or not and makes available status information to the BIOS that probes the drive and look at it at start up which will inform you on one of the boot screens if there maybe something going wrong with the drive to give you time to backup before investigating what the problem is.
    As for the Gigabyte manual I've found them to be one of the better ones compared to a lot of others.
    The onboard Promise controller by default is set as a standard ATA controller that any drive, HDD or CD/DVD ROM, can be connected to though some makes of ROM's have trouble working with which is why a lot of ppl prefer the Highpoint version. It's best in some cases to leave any ROM drives on either of the two main channels and just run HDD's on the Promise channels. :smokin:

well hey all, I must tell you about my experience with Gigabyte boards. I jumped onto this discussion to follow up on gigabyte issues. I built a system P4 1.6Ghz, 256 133 ram, 20Gb 7200 HD, MX400 64mb video, Gigabyte 845 chipset mainboard (can't remember model) OS Win98SE. This system worked fine till I installed 845 chipset drvs to enable 4x AGP. I got a black screen for no apparent reason numerous blue screens with messages that varied around vxd vwin32 errors. some programmes caused more troubles MS outlook fax, scandisk and any loading large programmes ie Autocad 2000. I dont play many games on my PC since I work on it but I tried to load aquanox well talk about a hissy fit!!! My HD showed all types of corrupt files so I swapped it, no joy same probs. I swapped the ram still no luck so next I decided it must be the video card so I replaced that with a MSI g4mx420. Bah same problems (I formatted the HD each time I made a change).
    Gigabyte told me that 2% Mainbds fail so I replaced that for a GA8sdx SIS645 chipset.
    Cranky gotta tell you, could it be the cpu?
    Another HD format and loaded Win2Kprof for the error log and system tools and hell it runs fine with AGP 4X enabled. Id been told win98se was sturdy i still dont trust my system but just had to share this tale of woe with you.
    Took 9 weeks of dicking around to get where I'm at with it.
    regards all

On startup my GA-7VRXP goes

Detecting\ ........................

I believe it's checking my harddisks. That's fine, but I don't want the wait for this every time. :bounce:

Is it possible to turn this Detecting....... OFF.

The "Detecting" bit is that the onboard Promise controller is enabled. If your not using that controller (like me) then go into the BIOS and disable it so ya don't have to put up with that. :smokin:

Can you all tell me what temp your GA-7VRXP is running @ idle and load? Mine runs way too hot and doesn't like my PNY Geforce 4 4400 card at all. The idle heat averages around 51c and under load, etc can get into the 60's. This is with a Volcano 7+, artic silver 3, 2 exhaust and one intake fan in an aluminum case w/round ide cables. I'm so frustrated with this thing I think I'm going to return it. Already RMA'd the CPU and board once each. I'm not overclocking or anything either, too hot....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information