Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would I know if I blew out my chip?

Beefy Guest

*slaps self*

I've gotta stop thinking Athlon. I didn't even realise we were talking P4 here... but anyways...

Definitely get some form of thermal contact in there. Divine_MC was spot on with what he said. But I don't know if you would have damaged your CPU or not, because P4's are good at throttling themselves down when they overheat, so it might have saved itself... ya never know

That makes two of us Beefy.. But the P4s can still suffer heat damage.. just not as easily. If it happens suddenly, or happens constantly, it can still suffer in the long term.. i would not rule out damage, but i would consider now conflicts as well.. i know certain mobos that wont boot if they havea certain brand NIC.. could be the same way here...

Quote Originally Posted by Yohhan
    Installed the HSF upside down? As a newbie to this, that makes me feel a little better. So at least I'm not the only one screwing up their stuff the first go 'round. :-)
    I didn't really put it on upside down...I was just being myself.... :)
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

Beefy Guest

i've done all sorts of stupid installations of heatsinks.. the best way to learn (expensive though.. :( )

Check.. Double check, and finally, turn on coputer with head stuck in case watching every component with hand wrpped tightly around the power cord, ready to pull it at the first sign of a problem.. :)

Beefy Guest

Don't literally stick your head in your case of course.. :D

Oh, of course!! COuld you only imagine the pain induced by having your hair caught in a 7000RPM Delta fan??? I mean.. pain galore.. but you Do need to be close enough so u can tell.. :)

So even if the BIOS never registered the BIOS temp going higher than 90 degrees F or so, it could still damage itself? I've never had it on more than a few minutes at a time. It heats up that fast?

What does IHS stand for?

Thanks, I'll start by getting some thermal grease.

Like i sid, it is possible... wait.. bioses donnt normally read in F.. areyou SURE it was 90*F, and NOT 90*C??? If it was 90*C, it F*cked, if it is 90*F, then your quite fine, and it is a conflict..

I'm sure it was F. The BIOS shows C and F. C was like in the 30's or something.

Where can I order/purchase some of that thermal grease? Do they have that stuff at a Best Buy/Fry's, or online somewhere?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information