Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

Default Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

This is the first PC i have ever built, everything works fine, (i think) exept for the fact that the NB is over heating. :/
    i am not sure what info i need to post so i will just list the things i have put into this PC,:

Asus striker II formula motherbord,
    winfast(c) px9800 gtx+ *2 lti
    intel core2 quad q9450
    2themax power supply, max power gpx 750
    the sound card that comes with the motherbored,
    kingston ram, dunno how to tell what modle it is, so, it's 2gb and i have 2 of them installed to the motherbored.

i have tried taking out 1 of the GPU but no diff on NB temp,
    havent done anyother thing yet, not sure what to do.
    don't think dad would let me spend much more monney either,
    pleese help
    thanks

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Default Re: Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

Go to Majorgeeks here >> MajorGeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities. and DL speedfan from the diagnostics section. Post the results with right click and copy then paste to thread. As always make sure all your fans are turning at full speed (there is a program that actually reduces the fan speed if certain conditions are met I forgot what it was-but give me a moment).
    Are there any errors in the event viewer?
    Have you been cleaning the registry?
    Have you deleted any .BAK or other temp files lately?
    Is your graphics card Overclocked? This card throws of a lot of heat and may be your problem IMO. Best course is to add fans if you can or add water cooling blocks to other components to remove excess heat. Try opening a window for more cool air in room. Max....

been a while now,
    computer still alive XD its working fine, i think
    speed fan don't seem to tell me the temp of my chipset?
    it helped me with other things though, found out my grafixcards was abit hot..
    fixed that too now,
    heres the temps,
    gpu0 33
    gpu1 34
    HDD 21
    Core0 47
    Core1 36
    Core2 42
    Core3 40

i havent overclocked anything yet, although, does the "+" on the grafixcard title mean its overclocked?
    cos i got the 9800 GTX+ in sli mode,
    also got a new CPU cooler coming soon, DuOrb one,
    hope will cool down the cpu abit more so i might start overclocking it,

are the temps normal btw?
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvortex View Post
    been a while now,
    computer still alive XD its working fine, i think
    speed fan don't seem to tell me the temp of my chipset?
    it helped me with other things though, found out my grafixcards was abit hot..
    fixed that too now,
    heres the temps,
    gpu0 33
    gpu1 34
    HDD 21
    Core0 47
    Core1 36
    Core2 42
    Core3 40

i havent overclocked anything yet, although, does the "+" on the grafixcard title mean its overclocked?
    cos i got the 9800 GTX+ in sli mode,
    also got a new CPU cooler coming soon, DuOrb one,
    hope will cool down the cpu abit more so i might start overclocking it,

are the temps normal btw?
    thx
    here is a comparision between yours on left and mine on right

YOURS ..................................MINE
    gpu0 33 C..............................gpu0 56 C
    gpu1 34 C...............................----------
    HDD 0 21 C ............................HDD 0 33 C
    HDD 1---- .............................HDD 1 42 C
    core 0 47 C............................core 0 41 C
    core 1 36 ..............................core 1 33 C
    core 2 42 C............................----------
    core 3 40 C............................----------

You could ask Lsdmeasap about your core voltage as SANDRA told me mine was a bit high SANDRA is a system analyser program. I turned the voltage down a bit to 1.14 in the BIOS and I see that Vcore1 is about 1.82 which is odd maybe thats why I got the warning from SANDRA?
    Oh well I think everything looks OK but I am not an expert just another fellow from the peanut gallery.

How did you lower GPU temp? are you down clocking?

Cheers Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-12-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: lost tabs
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

for the GPU i found out that the fans was constantly running on 20% even when it was on load. i thought it was suppose to change automaticly? 0.o...
    dunno, but the nvidia control pannal did not let me change the speed of the fan either, so i found this program that did called : Rivatuner, you can even set it so it changed the fan speed after it reaches a certain temp, which is us full.
    You could ask Lsdmeasap about your core voltage as SANDRA told me mine was a bit high
    thx for that other program btw, just checking it now

Both my father and myself have the same problem.

Asus are horrendous when it comes to support in the UK for the motherboards - its non existant. Their online support is non existant too!

We both started off 2 years ago with the Striker Extreme. Both of them were complete garbage - you either had to clear the CMOS every couple of days or put up with the faults and dodgy failures, usually resulting in B.S.O.D.S due to things failing on the mobo.

We both had 4 replacements each from the retailers. I spoke to Asus themselves after that because the retailer could not/would not help any further.

So, there was this guy at Asus called Mike (something) who was the only person able to get these boards just about working. Unfortunately he left while the problems were ongoing.

A Mr. Howard Penning dealt with this, as did some chap called Jason. If you can call doing nothing helping. We had roughly 8 or 9 repairs EACH, and had to pay for 4 lots of carriage each. The mobos would go off to the Czech Rep. for repair, coming back either with the same problems or with different ones apparant. What was even better than that? The fact we got our original mobos back twice, still faulty.

In the end I demanded to speak to the then MD, a Mr. Rex Lee. We'd had the Striker Extremes for about a year now, 4 months of which had been spent sending them back and forth for repair. By this time I was really peed off, as the constant putting together and taking apart of the computers killed one of my Sparkle Calibre 7950GT cards, which I couldn't replace - so had to fork out 400 on 2 new GPU cards.

After basically telling Mr. Lee that these two mobos aren't fit for their purpose under the sales of goods act, we eventually managed to get Asus to replace them with 2 of the Striker II Formulas.

These boards are terrible for over heating, let alone the fact they are as still unreliable as London Transport. You'd think a board as covered in copper piping and heatsinks as the S2F would be cool right? NO!

This was my set up:

Asus Striker II Formula
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 running @ stock speed - 2.4GHz
    Akasa AK960-E CPU cooler
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800MHz 4-4-4-12 RAM
    Onboard sound card
    2 x SATA II hdds
    2 x BFG 9600 OC2 GPUs in SLi
    Silverstone Strider 850w modular PSU
    2 x Asus lightscribe drives
    1 FDD

Case and Cooling:

Coolermaster Cosmos RC-1000 case (with the plastic airduct thing inside removed)
    2 x 4,000 rpm 120mm fans (pulling 190 cm2 running at a noisy 59Db 1 in the base and one over the hdd's)
    3 x 2,000 rpm 120mm Sharktoon Silent Eagle Golf ball fans (2 in the top, 1 on the back)
    1 x 2,000 rpm 120mm Sharktoon Silent Eagle Golfball fan on a Zalman bracket blowing air down onto the South Bridge (funneled by the GPU cards).

Temperatures:

CPU: idle = 30 C / within 6-10 minutes = 34 C
    Mobo: idle = 22 C / within 6-10 minutes = 29-30 C
    N-Bridge: idle = 45 C / within 6-10 minutes = 66-70 C
    S-Bridge: idle = 40 C / within 6-10 minutes = 56-62 C

Fans were all running on the ports that ran them at full speed, the rest were run off of the big 4-pin molex connectors attached to my PSU

Whatever I tried, I couldn't cool the PC down anymore. I know air cooling is limited by the ambient temperature, and my rooms ambient temp is about 20-24 C.

I live in a double density concrete construct building - the seperating walls between each flat are roughly 10 inch thick with steel mesh inside - the double density bit means instead of being 12 inch mesh it is 6 inch mesh, which kills wireless signal in nearly all modems except Linksys ones. Think of a thermos flask in reverse.

This motherboard has been shaky the entire year or so I've had it, and has been RMA'd a couple of weeks or so ago because it died when I took a Zigmatek aiao? water tower off to replace it with another Akasa AK960-E (the original one became damaged, so I replaced it with that Zigmatek = big mistake).

So, when it comes back, I will have to test it with my old Pentium 4 3.4GHz chip.

I've bought a Corsair Hydro H-50 and one of those Noctua beige coloured fans (the one that pulls in 100 cm2 of air) - will put that on, then put that little plastic fan that comes with the mobo on and see what the temperatures are.

I doubt the mobo will work when I get it back, based on past experience with Asus.

If I have to get another replacement, can someone please advise me on what mobo to ask for as a replacement?

I'd like to force them into giving me their 300 i7 Supercomputer mobo, but then it means I will need to find about 1000 for a new PC.

My other choice is the Maximus II Formula, which means I'll have to buy ATI GPUs and I've never used them before.

I'm sick to the back teeth of Asus. I've used their products for over a decade. I started gaming when I was just 4 (Spectrum, Atari ST's and the NES etc), I started my computing back in the days of the Amiga 500 and have been building PCs since the 1st Pentium chip. I've always used Asus boards, except once I tried Gigabyte, couldn't make it work and went Asus again. I feel I've been treated shockingly by this company, they basically don't give a fig about me, their end user, and all I want at the end of the day is a PC that blimming well works.

So, please advise me on what to do if, like I say, the mobo comes back and IS still faulty.
    Last edited by Ragdollcatman; 10-15-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Hi ragdollcatman I am sorry to hear about your troubles with ASUS mobos, which are usually highly regarded. Well lets see, it seems you have gone through the usual procedure for all your problems(rma's repairs etc). Further, you have spoken to the companies the you bought the products from as well, which resulted in limited sucess. The only thing I can think of is a third party consumer action organization. In the US we have the Better Business Bureau and we have other organizations that help the consumer in choosing products(they may be able to advise you in next steps) Consumerreports.org Find Product Reviews and Ratings from Consumer Reports
    On TV news programs there are people that help others with consumer problems as well. Just check you local tv news station websites for consumer action links or articles. Googling your problem to seek out others that have had similar problems with these boards would be a start too. That way you can find out if there are some forums that are dealing with these issues now that would be my first step to advise. Use google to search forums.
    Max out
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Wink Re: Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

lol - just look at Asus's own forum - there are pages of people moaning. Other than that, these boards either work or they don't.

Maybe if I knew BIOS inside out (and had the knowledge of what it all meant) as well as knowledge on overclocking - because even when I told the BIOS what timings, voltages etc to run everything it still didn't work, then maybe I'd have been able to sort it.

Now, if I can get the money together, and I can get them to agree to it, would it be worth me into pushing them to replace it with their 300 plus P6T7 supercomputer mobo?

I don't mind spending money on an i7 chip, psu and RAM for now.

I can put my BFG9600GT OCs in there for now as well as my Asus DWR-19BL lightscribe drives.

I'd like to eventually swap them with sata optical drives, but can't see the benefit of doing so.

I can buy better graphics cards later... What I don't want to do right now is spend a fortune on a PC when they are talking about making USB 3, PCI-E gen 3 and various other enhanced upgrades in the near future.

Oh yes.

Those Noctua fans.

Can someone tell me how these things do pull in 100cm2 of air? It doesn't feel like its doing much when its plugged in.

Infact, my Sharktoon Silent Eagle Golf ball fans (although revving @ 2k over the 1.2k) feel like they pull in a lot more air, there is a real difference between the two.

I've put 2 Sharks on the Hydro, in pull / radiator / pull mode and stuck one of my 4k fans on the top of the case to pull air out.

I will put the Noctua on the Zalman bracket or I might buy another 4k fan instead, and use a 1 into 2 fan cable and run them both at 70% for less noise, while still getting plenty of air out.

Sorry again to hear about your troubles Ragdoll, but are you sure you have tried everything? Like swapping out your parts one at a time to see if there is a change in performance? Eventually getting down to bare minimum parts like Mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM, HD and Video only? In other words remove all extra parts CD and DVD drives audio cards floppies printers etc. Also test with stress tests or 3DMark06 or Vantage. As for the BIOS disable anything that you are not using now like USB ports, Serial and parrallel printer ports, IDE controllers, audio (onboard) etc. Using this guide from the tweakguides for reference as you go TweakGuides.com and DL the PDF. I have just found that I have a faulty video card thats causing me troubles so I swapped it out with a known good card and so far so good. I just updated the BIOS with latest F7 version have you done that yet?? There may be some fixes in newer BIOS versions for you. if you suspect over heating problems then DO put a small fan on your North bridge for extra cooling as you OC (if OC causes you issues) And while on OC subject why not stop OCing long enough to fix you issues then try OC again??
    Hope that helps
    Max out
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 10-19-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: edit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information