Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, to 8GB, need memory recomendation

Default Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, to 8GB, need memory recomendation

I just purchased the Mobo.

I grow tired of my current setup, crashing/freezing... Plus my needs have changed, so it's a new Mobo for me.

I plan on moving my current processor (E6750) to this mobo. I have an Nvidia 9600 card...

I need memory.

I want to max it out at 8GB of memory, use 1066 speed..

I have no problem spending the money on memory, but only if it's going to work. On my current board, I bought 8GB of DDR2-800, and the board wouldn't even POST. I ended up removing half the memory and it would post. (Yes, I swapped memory to test, and all memory was good)..

So, you can see my history/frustration... I don't want to spend money on memory that's only going to sit on the shelf collecting dust.

This rig is for gaming. I don't do FPS games, more strategy 'n simulations. So uber high performance isn't necessary...

BUT STABILITY IS !!!!!

I'm running Vista-64, latest patches/drivers.. that I could find..

Thanks in advance...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, to 8GB, need memory recomendation

Well 8GB does require some tedious tweaking. Timings was likely your issue last time as well

If you want my suggestion for a brand, it is Mushkin Black or Blue models

Thanks for the recommendation...

I just finished ordering the memory:

Model
    Brand mushkin
    Series XP
    Model 996619
    Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Speed DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Cas Latency 5
    Timing 5-5-5-15
    Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V
    Heat Spreader eVCI (enhanced Vapor Chamber Interface) cooling technology
    Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

I'm sure I'll be back once this memory has arrived and I have a chance to install it...

Good choice. I am holding out and trying to save for 996580 model for my setup

You will like them, especially I hear those new heatsinks are nice

Just to let y'all know...

I received the memory.. Installed it... and I've been running the board/memory for nearly a week. Not one single crash...... (old mobo/memory crashed multiple times an evening)

Yes the heat sinks are too wide, or the mem slots too close (depending on your point of view.) But I managed to force the memory into the slot. They are leaning at ... oh.. maybe 5 degree angle... Not bad....

I'm not overclocking.

And the case is well ventilated. (2 front fans, 1 rear, and a side hole for CPU). So heat doesn't look to be an issue.

I needed no timing/tweaking to make this memory work. So far so good....

Nice to hear!

Ya, I kinda wondered about the heatsinks myself. And if they are actually any better, or if better was REALLY needed or not? I love the frostbyte design heatsinks.

Glad to see you like them and are having a great Stable time with them. Post back anytime if you want to try out some tweaking on them

Nearly a month gone by... and not a single hickup.... The new memory is working just peachy....

BTW... I think I figured out why my old mobo/memory wasn't working.. It took a little digging, but the mobo required 1.8v memory. And the memory I had was 1.9v. The manual said I could change the memory voltage setting, but when I went into the bios to do so, the option wasn't there. Proper voltage memory seemed to fix it... so far.

Just goes to show... you can't read the tech specs too closely.....

GREAT TO HEAR!!!

Motherboard Voltage requirements are not a issue, all DDR2 will start at 1.8V because they all have JEDEC programmed settings to do so, it is required by law.

As for you maybe not seeing the voltages in the BIOS, are you sure and did you maybe need to do the hotkey Control + F1 on the main page then go into MIT? I think you do not have to do that anymore with GA boards but P43? Maybe?

But see how you bought 2.0-2.1 ram and it works and is not 1.8V. Just a general thing, and there MAY Be some ram out there that will not start at 1.8V. And those may have issues on first boot, but most all will start at 1.8V

Either way, great to hear you like your new ram and it is working problem free for you!

Thanks for posting back!

Thread Information