Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: motherboard suggestion for new build

Default motherboard suggestion for new build

I have been researching Gigabyte and Asus mother boards for a new build. I want to purchase a
    solid motherboard requiring little if any involved tweaking. The system will use Vista home premium 64bit, a quad core
    and 4 gb ram. It has been about 5 years since my last build, from the many forums I have viewed, It seems
    to be an art to get a stable system such as I want to build in way of motherboard and memory.
    I have seen various reports of the Biostar TPower I45 as a dependable 'plug and play'. Please, if any thoughts
    to my best bet at choosing a motherboard and memory and having a stable system.
    some concerns:
    the mushkin memory I am considering ( mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800, 4-4-4-12 and
    2.0v-2.1v) will I be able to plug both sticks in and have stability, to install vista?

Any users experience with the Biostar TPower I 45? Need some good P45 motherboardrecommendations, price range up to $250~
    No crossfire interest, not using raid.

Default Re: motherboard suggestion for new build

i'd recommend either the Gigabyte EP45-DS5 (~AU$245) or the Asus P5Q Pro (~AU$170) or Deluxe(~AU$235)... they all offer RAID and CrossfireX support, but just about every mid-high end board based on P45 does
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would recommend GA-P35-DS4 or DQ6 since you said you dont want to have to tweak things. P45 has a very mature BIOS

And yes, most boards you can install vista with 4GB in. If you hit a bump, just remove one stick as vista install only takes about 12 minutes anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I would recommend GA-P35-DS4 or DQ6 since you said you dont want to have to tweak things. P45 has a very mature BIOS
    And yes, most boards you can install vista with 4GB in. If you hit a bump, just remove one stick as vista install only takes about 12 minutes anyway
    If using a P45 bios (gigabyte) with mushkin ram you like, What would/could be the outcome of installing the 4gb ram with all auto settings? does it work? does the tweaking allow its full potential?

I have been looking at the lists for tweaking these boards..incredible..like planning a shuttle to....

LSD, If I gave you the motherboard, ram, cpu I'm interested in, would you be able to provide me with a list of settings?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

4GB may or may not work in Auto, certainly not at it's best that is FOR SURE

Ya, I can give you settings for sure once you have it built no problem

Thread Information