Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro Bios question.....

I read on the soyo website that if I ever wanted to go higher than a AMD athlon xp 2000 chip for the soyo SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard, (MY board and chip ) I would have to flash my bios....(you would have to flash the bios for a AMD athlon xp 2100 for instance) however they reccomend NOT doing this because if it is improperly done, the bios chip would have to be sent to them for re-flashing? I was told by a friend that you can BUY a bios chip for the motherboard you have by contacting the manufacturer, all of this confuses me! Would it not just be easier to buy a bios chip for your board rather than flash it?? (What I mean by that is...wouldn't it be safer than flashing the bios just to go get a bios chip that is made for the right chip clockspeed, instead of flashing it??) If you can tell me in simple laymans terms, I would appreciate it!

Well as simple as possible, the BIOS is a very delicate thing and should not be messed with too much without the knoledge to do so. If SOYO will take the board back and re-flash it for you then I suggest you take that route.

To my knoledge I have never heard of this thing where you can buy new BIOS chips and I would definetly not recomend doing this anyway. The BIOS chip is saudered onto the motherboard.

A lot of BIOS chips are of the plug in sort these days. :smokin:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    A lot of BIOS chips are of the plug in sort these days. :smokin:
    I am trying to get accross that it will most likely void your warranty and can potentially destroy the motherboard if you don't do it right.

I've never owned a Soyo...but i've probably flashed the bios on various types of systems at least 100 times - and I've yet to have a problem.

Just sitck with the mfg approved bios' - not the beta or modded ones. And most downloadable bios files include a readme, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter

I definately think flashing a bios is easier than changing a socketed bios chip for a newbee

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    I've never owned a Soyo...but i've probably flashed the bios on various types of systems at least 100 times - and I've yet to have a problem.

Just sitck with the mfg approved bios' - not the beta or modded ones. And most downloadable bios files include a readme, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter

I definately think flashing a bios is easier than changing a socketed bios chip for a newbee
    Well flashing comes with a known risk... There is always the chance that it will fffff up and something will go wrong... I have only used downloadable bios updates once and that was with my MSI board. It was pretty straight forward and I encountered no problems but be aware that the message, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" appears on the site.

The main thing when flashing is to never interupt the process or power while this is being done or ya will hose the BIOS. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The main thing when flashing is to never interupt the process or power while this is being done or ya will hose the BIOS. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>
    OUCH! Has that ever happened to you Wiggo??? Jeez, just get a UPS while doing this. :)

No it never has but there are those I know of who had. :rolleyes2

No it never has but there are those I know of who had. :rolleyes2
    So... How did this friend of yours wind up fixing the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information