Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA-X48DS5 wont hold settings

Default Gigabyte GA-X48DS5 wont hold settings

Hi my name is Alan. I just put together a new rig.
    Gigabyte GAX48-DS5
    Intel Q9550
    8gbs of GSkill PC8500
    Vista 64bit Ultimate
    Corsair PSU 620W Modular)
    Shapphire HD4850 Card

After I got it all together I tried to OC the Q9550 to 3.4GHz and it worked fine, I monitored the temps, all was well, then I tried to back it down to 3.2Ghz becuase I really did not see much of a difference. For some unknown reason the MIT ( Intelligent Tweaker) will not hold my settings anymore, no matter what configuration I use, it always goes back to default. When I add .05 it even goes below factory setting for the CPU to 2.67GHz (2.83 is default.) when I take away the 0.5 it goes back to 2.83 but thats it. No other settings will hold. F10 save and exit,press Y, does not save. As you can see by post I am new at this. Please understand, I am 65 years old and have built quite a few computers but none for gaming and none with the amount of settings in the BIOS. Please help me, this is very frustrating for me, I appreciate your time and effort. EDIT I just noticed the reason for this but do not know how to fix it, The host Clock control goes from enabled to disabled everytime I reboot. All the other settings stay the same but this one. I change it to enabled , put in a value of 400 X 8 plus add .05 = 3.4GHz. When I reboot after trying to save it disables the Host Clock control and the OC wont hold, it goes down to 2.67, if I take out the .05 and leave the 400 it will go to the default 2.83GHz. I am lost.
    Thankyou.
    Last edited by alan1476; 01-18-2009 at 11:22 PM.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-X48DS5 wont hold settings

Another junior member here Alan, but I have learn't a few things(pun intended). I believe that first you may need to post more settings in the form that they give you. see my post here>>> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...estions-29086/ You can also copy and paste the form on my thread and fill in the blanks.
    Did you update the BIOS a later or latest version? which version?
    And what is CIA 2 set to by the way??
    Also if you look at lsdmeasap's advice on the PCI e freq setting and Performance enhance too they are problems if not set right. Search function is always a quick way to find information. Max.............

Thanks Max, I am new at these gaming boards and and I have to admit it is a little daunting. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the board, its just something I am missing. Here are my RAM timings
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
    Cas Latency: 5
    Timing: 5-5-5-15
    Voltage: 2.1V
    Heat Spreader: Yes
    I have not updated the BIOS, its a brand new board from Newegg. If possible thats the last thing I want to try. I was thinking of clearing the CMOS becuase I believe that is where these setting are saved to. But I have not tried that either, I was hoping it was something I jsut missed, like I said it worked the first time I went to 3.4GHz, but then backed off a little and I can change it again, the host clock controller disables itself after the reboot. Its got the Rev 1.3 and I do not have ACHI enabled on this board. I believe the CIA2 is set to Auto but I will check. Thanks for any help my friend. If I could just get the Host Clock controller to hold a setting it would work. I am lost I tell you. LOL. Thanks.

Hey Max, it worked, I followed your instructions on setting the memory timings and CIA2 was disabled. I set the PCI-E frequency to 100. And low and behold it worked. I cant thank you enough. I am so glad it worked, I did not want to flash the BIOS, I had a bad experience with that on an Asus Board and I just don't have the guts to try it again. LOL. Anyway most of you know me from CDF Forums and if I can be of any help to you on that end ( I Mod there) I am willing and able to help here and there. You are my hero.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by alan1476 View Post
    Hey Max, it worked, I followed your instructions on setting the memory timings and CIA2 was disabled. I set the PCI-E frequency to 100. And low and behold it worked. I cant thank you enough. I am so glad it worked, I did not want to flash the BIOS, I had a bad experience with that on an Asus Board and I just don't have the guts to try it again. LOL. Anyway most of you know me from CDF Forums and if I can be of any help to you on that end ( I Mod there) I am willing and able to help here and there. You are my hero.
    As far as setting memory timings I was talking about copying and pasting the BIOS settings page from my thread and filling in your settings as reposting them here for others to look at(as I am not fluent in BIOS settings just yet)and help you out. But from the looks of it you may have solved the problem. Lets hope you hold those settings as I had one boot where the BIOS reverted and tried to rebuild (dualbios) due to bad settings.

I will do that MAX, but doesnt it make a big difference in what MOBO you have, I know some settings in Gigabyte boards are the same but from what I have seen here, there are slight differences in MIT on alot of boards. The 20% OC is not even slightly making my board unstable, tryed it in Photoshop to make sure. Under full load my temps are under 55C in all 4 cores. I will monitor it and post my settings. This is a great forum, I even got a welcome PM from Mr Tweak. Nice touch. I am so busy these days upgrading the forums to VBulletin 3.80, ( many new options). Let me run these setting for 24 hrs and do a stress test with Prime 95, and I will get back to you.

So is it all working?
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

Thread Information