Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading MB to support new quad cpu

Default Upgrading MB to support new quad cpu

I need some ones help on this. I have been told, and having never done this, I have built rigs, but always all at once, new everything, I want to know if I do this will I have to reinstall windows? I was told it's a 50/ 50 chance that I will, but if somebody has a work around for this I would greatly appreciate it. All I am doing is putting in a new main board and cpu. Due to the MB I have won't support the cpu, Asus tells me now after it told me it would/did. Question is will I need to reinstall, or will I be able to just load the new MB drivers right over the old ones? Thanks guys I'll be chaecking on this one.

Default Re: Upgrading MB to support new quad cpu

Unfortunately, if u replace the mainboard, u hav to replace the main hdd or reformat it.
    Yes there is a workaround BUT this only applies if u buy a motherboard which has the same chipsets as the old MB. Which i dont think is the case for you.

If u decide to boot from it, i think a blue screen will pop up.
    Can u post ur full system specs?
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Default Re: Upgrading MB to support new quad cpu

randoness, ok replaced MB, and no problems. Only diff between my old and the new was 680i to 780i chipsets. I had no issuses with the change. Vista found all the new drivers and loaded right up. thanks for answering me .

Thread Information