Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Suggestions for motherboard capable of x16 x8 x4

Default Suggestions for motherboard capable of x16 x8 x4

Hi, I need to find a motherboard that support x16 x8 and x4. It will contain the following cards; 1 * Gigabyte GTX 260 ( x16) 1 * Areca 1220 (8 Channel Radi controller) (x8) 1 * Blackmagic Design Multibridge Pro (x4) I previously purchased a Gigabyte EP45 dq6 but I have found it will not support a non video card (the Areca 1220) in the second x16 slot. I do not want to waste more money a motherboard that will not work. Can anyone suggest a new board that will definitely work Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Mike

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Suggestions for motherboard capable of x16 x8 x4

Are you sure the board you have/mention does not support a NON GFX Card in slot two, or maybe that card is just not compatible with the board?

What made you come to decide this for sure?

I have this board (DS4P), it and the DQ6 you mention, both support PCIE x16/x8/x4 >>
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-EP45-DS4P (rev. 1.0)

I checked your posts and I remember discussing this with you, so did you get a direct answer about the issues with your DQ6 from Gigabyte or Areca?

Here was the reply from gigabyte, "Thank you for your kindly mail and enquiry. Basically the PCIEx16 and PCIEx8 slot is designed for the VGA card use only, so we can not guarantee the system can boot up or work properly if you install other kinds of PCI-E device on the VGA slot, sorry for the inconvenience. Regards, GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY" Hardly definitive but I could not get it to function. The Areca 1220 runs fine in my P5KR. Cheers Mike

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh, yeap that does not sound definite for sure but it is honest enough and sure enough sounding to me that it is likely the cause

I have never heard of and issue like that, maybe it is that model only??? Not sure, without a card I could not test the DS4P myself to let you know and I do not have any to test with so no luck there.

You could mail me yours if you like and I could test it, but that would be all up to you of course

Thread Information