Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First International Computer, AU31 PCB 1.x

Default Re: First International Computer, AU31 PCB 1.x

Ok so I don't knowhow to leave well enough alone, hahah.

I ran Everest Home on it and it showed a 256KB BIOS.

Sooo,
    -I downloaded the 256KB BIOS
    -prepped a boot floppy as per the instructions on the readme with the BIOS
    -wrote down my MAC address
    -wrote down my existing BIOS settings
    -Installed the BIOS
    -and now I have a BRICK.... hahahahahahahahahahahahah

actually, it's not quite a brick. it Posts, but the post screen says Checksum Error-- Default Settings at the bottom of the page then says F1 to Continue or Del for Setup.

So, I chose Del for setup and got a black screen with a locked cursor.

So I rebooted... and got nothing.

Then I cleared the CMOS and rebooted and got the same POST screen.

So, I chose F1, and proceeded to a Windows Logo screen that lasted for about a minute, then froze.

Rebooting did nothing, so I cleared the CMOS again and got to the same POST screen.

and on, and on, and on.

My Floppy is a USB and I think that the new BIOS default does not include USB Floppy in the Boot Order

Anyway, a buddy has an old Socket A mobo that he is going to let me have. Hopefully that will get the machine running as it was.

Lesson: Leave well enough alone....
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Default Re: First International Computer, AU31 PCB 1.x

So a buddy of mine had a Socket A Mobo that he wasn't using.

Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my case. So, I had to make a temporary bench for it till I find a midATX or full ATX case at a garage sale this summer.

Note the battery back-up under the PSU.

I'd enter it in the Ghetto Mod competition, but I don't live in Australia or New Zealand.

Anyway, the old dog is up and running again... my wife can Spore it up now...
    Last edited by grishkafool; 05-24-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information