Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Clear CMOS Killed Mobo?

Default Clear CMOS Killed Mobo?

just kinda throwing this out there, i had an old socket 939 asus A8V deluxe i was gonna throw together for an internet machine for my wife... botted to bios fine, no power issues... was using a sata harddrive and the bios was not finding it... when during the POST screen the raid stuff popped up (not doing raid) and said " BIOS not installed " continued to " no hd detected adn press "g" to continue... so i thought bios issue... clear the cmos maybe flash and then wella!!! well no "wella"... moved the jumper, counted to 20 moved it back, plugged the power cord back in and pressed the on switch and... nothing. the little green LED on the bottom right corner of the board lights up but pressing the power button does nothing... connected a a different pwr supply.. same thing, thought maybe a short in the on/off switch, hook up another switch.. still nothing. can clearing the cmos, even if done wrong ( i didn't.. but just for arguments sake...) totally kill a mobo?

any thoughts?

sucks if its a dead mobo... gonna have fun trying to find a 939 mobo to use my ram... agp gfx card, cpu...
    My Rig:
    CPU: Intel E8400 Wolfdale
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. A3
    Bios: F8
    Power: OCZ 600 Stealth ExtremeRAM: OCZ DDR2 PC-8500 2x2Gig
    Gfx: Xfx 9800 GTX+
    Heatsink:
    Tuniq Tower 120

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Clear CMOS Killed Mobo?

I have not heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.

Did you try to start the machine with no jumper in either spot? I'd try that next

Do you have another battery to try? How about trying it without the battery at all, try that as well.

thanks for your reply. yeah, i tried that also, i've just gotta think it was going out and that last power up was all she had left and clearing the cmos just before it ahppened was just a coincidence... something to make me crazy for a bit
    My Rig:
    Heatsink:
    Tuniq Tower 120

Hmm, not sure what to suggest. Are you sure the other PSU you tried worked, just checking?

Maybe get it all out of the case and start testing with the minimals if it is that important. It is odd, would have to be a coincidence for sure if it died as clearing the CMOS would not cause it

is it possible to wipe the bios from the mobo? right before i tossed it out the window, i laid it on my desk, connected spare power supply and a switch and it posted...? cpu fan came on. put it back in the case, powered up.. but nothing on the display. fans all spin up, led on wireless card lights up, fan on the gfx card come on, the little LED on the front of the dvd lit up, keyboard light flash and the numlock and caps lock wil light up...

the reason i ask about the bios is the first time, when i got to the bios screen and the system was trying to boot up i got the messages referenced in the first post about BIOS not being installed for the sata controller, i could get intot he bios screen and enable/disable the sata controller but the drive was not being recognized, after trying to clear the cmos and then the apparent dead mobo... might just be grasping at straws here but who knows. if the bios did get wiped... anyway to put them back, to flash the bios without being able to get the monitor on?
    My Rig:
    Heatsink:
    Tuniq Tower 120

Well when you Clear the CMOS this wipes the BIOS back to blank/default. Do you hava a floppy, if so you can try to blind flash it and see if that corrects things. In my guide here I note how to blind flash >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Pm me if you need AWDFlash, not sure if it is included as a download in my guide or not?

One thing I can say to try after reading this over again is to try the board back with the old drive or no drive connected. I say this because dead drives can cause a non post, so maybe your new drive you are trying is faulty? Just something else you can try

Since it is now booting that is a good sign, could just be some bad hardware somewhere causing this. I would try the minimal if you don't get anywhere with the drive test mentioned above. Try it out of the case, off the motherboard tray with only the CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram, and your GFX Card. NOTHING Else, if it posts to the BIOS then start hooking things up one by one until you find the culprit.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteele View Post
    is it possible to wipe the bios from the mobo? right before i tossed it out the window, i laid it on my desk, connected spare power supply and a switch and it posted...? cpu fan came on. put it back in the case, powered up.. but nothing on the display. fans all spin up, led on wireless card lights up, fan on the gfx card come on, the little LED on the front of the dvd lit up, keyboard light flash and the numlock and caps lock wil light up...

the reason i ask about the bios is the first time, when i got to the bios screen and the system was trying to boot up i got the messages referenced in the first post about BIOS not being installed for the sata controller, i could get intot he bios screen and enable/disable the sata controller but the drive was not being recognized, after trying to clear the cmos and then the apparent dead mobo... might just be grasping at straws here but who knows. if the bios did get wiped... anyway to put them back, to flash the bios without being able to get the monitor on?
    Did you go into BIOS to make sure the proper video was selected? AGP or PCI? Been through all that with a mobo, ran fine on the desk, but not in case. Turned out to be a short.....

:

Thread Information