Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't get mb to power on

Default can't get mb to power on

Hi, all
    First time poster

I just bought a new Gigabyte MB/CPU combo from tiger direct. I put it in an old compaq Presario Case, The fans come on but no hard drive activity and a continuous 4 long beeps, anybody know the beep code?
    Here is my info:
    Gigabyte Ma785gm-us2h
    AMD athlon II X2 240 2.8 Ghz AM3 cpu
    Memory 1 gig Ultra ddr2 pc2-5300 667mhz.
    Old Psu iomega 400 watt psu
    New PSU Antec 500 watt BP500U, still same problem
    Help Please.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: can't get mb to power on

Try the board out of the case and off the motherboard try, on a box or wooden table. This will make sure you don't have any shorts. Then it it works you know something might have been shorting inside the case.

Long beeps mean Graphics card problem, not fully inserted or something else. What GFX Card are you using?

Do you have another CPU? I ask because your CPU is not supported on this board until BIOS F4 and so if you have BIOS F1-F3 it may not work.

I also advise you try clearing the CMOS, in post #2 of this thread is my suggested method for doing this >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

I have onboard gfx. This my only MB and CPU.
    Last edited by Ladale966; 08-26-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Did you try my method of clearing your CMOS yet? Please do if you have not

Can you test your memory on another board? If so, please do

If you are sure your ram is good, can you please try only one stick in slot one

Can you also please upload a recording of your error beep so I can hear it? It can be anyway you want, video or audio is fine. Just so I can hear it to be sure.

I cleared cmos by leaving the battery out for about 10 minutes. I have attached a recording of the beeps.
    Last edited by Ladale966; 08-26-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added zip file

How do you send a recording attachment?

OK, I figured out how to send an audio attachment. I had to zip it first. I tried hooking it up out of case. Still same results. I only have one stick of ddr2 memory, so I can't substitute.

Hmm...

That is two long beeps, followed by 4 long beeps correct? Just making sure there was no overlap or something with your audio sample. Or is it just 4 long beeps as you initially stated, gotta be sure as I hear 2, then 4

You may need to borrow or buy some ram, just to be sure the ram is not faulty. This often is the cause of many various beeps, faulty ram, incompatible with the board, ect. I would check this soon as possible as it just may be the cause if my thoughts below do not apply. You can get a single stick of some cheap DDR2 800 for testing if you like, but I'd suggest you go ahead and get a kit of 2x1 or 2x2 800Mhz anyway as it would be much better for your system

Which ram slot are you using anyway? This is just one stick right?

Try this, as if it is only 4 beeps I have seen this indicate Dead or Faulty CPU Fan. Can you please unplug the CPU Fan you are using now and just plug some other fan into that port. You can move your CPU Fan plug to another port if you like, or leave it off for now for this short test. It will be ok. If the system starts shut it off and then check the CPU fan on another plug to verify it works. If it does not you will know what the issue is

That was 4 long beeps. It was an overlap. I started the recording in the middle.
    As soon as I get more Ram I will try substituting the ram. It is just one stick, and it's in the first slot. I tried moving it to the second slot, --no difference.
    As for the cpu fan, I had an extra fan and changed fans but still have the same problem. I didn't try an other port. I'll try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladale966 View Post
    That was 4 long beeps. It was an overlap. I started the recording in the middle.
    As soon as I get more Ram I will try substituting the ram. It is just one stick, and it's in the first slot. I tried moving it to the second slot, --no difference.
    As for the cpu fan, I had an extra fan and changed fans but still have the same problem. I didn't try an other port. I'll try that next.
    Same motherboard/CPU combo and having the same problem. I tried 2 different CPU fans, 2 different PSU's, 2 different sticks of memory, etc. All with the same problem, 4 long beeps repeating. I am going to try another brand of memory tonight. I sent gigabyte tech support a message and this was their reply "On MA785GM-US2H board cpu support list we don't see Athlon II x2 240 processor is on the list. We suggest test with other cpu which are on the supported list."

Did you have any luck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information